Trattoria Della Stampa

While walking along a small street in Rome I came across this lovely little restaurent. It was still too early for dinner and we had to continue to our intended destination but I had to stop and capture this perfect little scene. Okay here’s where you come in…which one do you prefer…the color version better or the desaturated version. The second image was processed using Topaz Adjust & Topaz B&W Effects.

You can click on the image to enlarge it.

About these ads

1. thesweetkitten

Hi!
    I prefer the first one, I feel that the colors better suit the atmosphere of the picture.

September 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

2. I like the muted color one. Both look nice though. It’s one of those things where the 2nd shot is more to my taste but if I was going to submit to a magazine or something, it would be the first shot.

September 26, 2011 at 11:11 am

3. I like the color version. So much warmth in the tones and color.

September 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm

4. I really like the subtlety of the second one – it has an olde world effect which seems in keeping with the Trattoria’s appearance. But I guess the Trattoria (for marketing) would like the full-on colour of the first version.

September 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

5. I really like the vintage processing of the second image. Nice work!

September 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm

6. It’s awfully close and I go back and forth. I’ve had this page open in a tab since this morning. I slightly prefer the desaturated, but not by much.

September 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

7. Oh, this is tough. At first I thought “without any doubt, the color version” because of how bright and vibrant the scene itself is… but when I looked at the desaturated version I really like that one too, because the effect produces an image that reflects the time you’d expect the image to come from. I can’t pick one….

September 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm

8. Both are excellent images Edith, but I like the color version with those nice warm colors. Very nicely processed are both and I can see why you stopped to photograph this. Well done!

September 26, 2011 at 4:31 pm

9. I prefer the color image although the de-saturated version looks more ‘artistic’ which is also a good thing!

September 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm

10. I tend to be a big color guy, so I go that route, but both look great! well done!

September 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm

11. For me, I like the second image the best. I like the extra contrast and desaturated look very much. Both are great images, but the second one does it for me.

September 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm

12. I liked the first one the best, then I saw the second one. Then I began going back a forth between them. Now I just don’t know. LOL Both are great Edith!

September 26, 2011 at 11:34 pm

• Thanks Phillip. I have hard time picking between the two as well. I like them for different reasons.

September 27, 2011 at 8:24 am

13. Love the color one. Much more feeling in it. Warm tones make the shot. Well done Edith.

September 27, 2011 at 4:53 am

14. I like the desaturated version. Isn’t it funny how evenly divided opinions seems to be – all a matter of personal taste.

September 27, 2011 at 6:04 am

15. Edith, I love the intimate view that you captured. Love them both and can’t decide!

September 27, 2011 at 8:11 am

16. I have to go with the color version Edith, although they are both excellent. I just like the warmth and depth that it provides.

September 27, 2011 at 10:31 am

17. They’re both quite nice. I personally prefer the second as I think the first looks a little over warmed and over saturated, IMHO. But, like i said, they’re both quite terrific!

September 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm

18. Rob

Tough decision, both are excellent. The second one has more of a nostalgic feel to it. The second image has a cool tone about it, wonder how it could be in the warmer tones without ruining the nostalgic feeling. I think I like the second one more. But perhaps tomorrow I may like the first one. Perhaps it is about the feelings we have when viewing photos.

September 28, 2011 at 10:48 am

• I know I keep going back and forth with it as well Rob. Thanks so much for the comments.

September 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

19. petehalewood

Fantastic shots Edith! If I was pushed, I would probably say I prefer the second because I love the slightly desaturated look but that’s taking nothing away from the 1st picture which is superb also.

October 2, 2011 at 7:30 am

• Pete thanks so much for visiting the site and for your comments. I had a hard time picking between the 2 as well which is why I wanted to get some other opinions. It seems that folks are split pretty much 50/50.

October 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm

20. That is tough one, but I am diggin the desat version. Very cool!

October 3, 2011 at 11:12 am