A Splash of Red

Project 52 Entry #49

Port Credit is located on the south shore of Lake Ontario in the City of Mississauga just west of Toronto. It’s commonly referred to as “the village by the lake” and in the summer it hosts jazz festivals, waterfront festivals and annual boat show. The summer is a busy place in Port Credit but spring is a perfect time to walk around and enjoy the sights and sounds before the crowds overtake it.

Last week I received a 10-stop ND filter that I had ordered and thought what better place to try it out then to shoot by the water.  The image below is my first attempt at using the  filter. The water was pretty choppy because (although you can’t see it) there were boats passing by before the exposure. I think I still need more practice though as I would have liked the water & clouds to have been a little bit smoother.

To enlarge (it does look better) or purchase please click on the image.

About these ads

1. Your technique was perfect for this shot.

May 16, 2012 at 7:36 am

2. Oh my dear Edith Levy, this is so beautiful… how hit me now… You did great. Thank you, with my love, nia

May 16, 2012 at 7:36 am

3. This is a wonderful image Edith. Very nice usage of the filter. I would have never thought to add color to the bicycle so I learned a little something here today!

May 16, 2012 at 7:40 am

4. I heard of these kind of filter and the amazing picture you can create with them. Nice work, Edith! Love the touch of red.

May 16, 2012 at 7:41 am

5. This is just beautiful Edith, what a picturesque scene!

May 16, 2012 at 7:43 am

6. chrisnitz

That bike just jumps off the screen. If I were a kid, I’d totally build a ramp and jump that bike off into the water…all day long!

May 16, 2012 at 7:50 am

7. jimdenham

Nice work with the 10-stop and the splash of red works nicely!

May 16, 2012 at 7:52 am

8. Shutterbug Sage

Gorgeous!

P.S. If you’d like to get rid of the new WordPress default that automatically ticks the “notify me of follow-up comments via email” box and then copies the folks who leave you comments on every future comment, please read this post: http://ayearofpics.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/important-update-you-can-remove-the-notify-me-of-follow-up-comments-via-email-option-from-your-wordpress-blog/.

Some folks have reported not wanting to leave comments on WordPress-run sites due to this change. I know how much I live for comments on my blog, so wanted to share this tip with you, for whatever it’s worth.

May 16, 2012 at 8:06 am

9. Great… ;-)

May 16, 2012 at 8:24 am

10. I really like this image, Edith. Now I want to invest in a ND filter. And that red bicycle is perfect.

May 16, 2012 at 8:27 am

11. I’ve been waiting for this ever since you said you had got the ND filter, and you haven’t disappointed. Fantastic shot.

May 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

12. Rich McPeek

Awesome shot Edith! Your first attempt with that filter rocked! Great work!

May 16, 2012 at 8:40 am

13. Beautiful!

May 16, 2012 at 8:50 am

14. You nailed this first shot with the ND 10, Edith!
    Love the processing and SC on this. Love the red bike. Nicely done.

May 16, 2012 at 8:53 am

15. Nice comp and POV, Edith :)

May 16, 2012 at 9:40 am

16. Very nice shot! I think the water and skies are great!!! Not to mention that red bike!!

May 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

17. doephotog

Nice looking shot.

May 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

18. The ‘smoothing ‘ effect of the ND filter on the water and sky has, I think, really helped to add emphasis to the red bike. Nice work, Edith

May 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

19. Ooo, that’s fabulous, Edith! What a GREAT image! I love the selective color processing you’ve here to tell your story… and the subtle smoothing effect in the water and sky is really quite extraordinary, my friend!

May 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm

20. Jim Nix

great use of SC Edith and great use of the filter, well done!

May 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm

21. Rick

Wonderful how the 10-stop smooths out the water!

May 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

22. Love the selective coloring, something keeps me pulling into the shot, nice one.

May 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm

23. How fun. Turned out great Edith!

May 18, 2012 at 12:12 am

24. leadinlines

What a serene looking scene. Beautifully captured Edith!

May 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

25. caseyhoward

This shot is amazing Edith! I am not familiar w/ the filter you used, but do you mind telling me how you added the red color to the bicycle? The color stands out so well, and is just beautiful

May 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

• HI Casye, thanks so much for visiting and for your comments. The bike was already red so I didn’t do anything to change the color. I processed the image in Photoshop then used Topaz B&W Effects to convert the image to B&W. Within that program I can selectively bring back color from the original image which is what I did with the bike. Hope that helps. You can download a trial of Topaz from their site at http://www.topazlabs.com/428.html and you can get 15% off using the code “ELPHOTO”

May 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm

• caseyhoward

Wow Edith, thank you so much. I just began using Adobe photoshop, myself, but am still naive as to all of the functions. I am definitely going to look into downloading a trial version of the Topaz. I have been playing around, just for a little bit, on photoshop to see if I can figure it out. Do you have to have Topaz to do the effects that you did?

May 19, 2012 at 12:25 am

• Hi Casey, no you don’t need Topaz to do the selective color you can do it in Photoshop it just takes a little bit more time. There are many ways to achieve this in PS. You can create a duplicate layer then convert the image to B&W then use a layer mask to bring in the color from one area of the original image. Then depending on the effect you want you would use different layer masks for different areas of the image. What I like about Topaz B&W is that you can really work on the image to get the B&W conversion to your liking because you can control and adjust contrast and color curves (among other things) easier then in PS. In addition to selective color you can also dodge and burn selectively in Topaz.

Sent from my iPhone

May 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

26. Reblogged this on patriciaddrury and commented:
    I want that red bike~~~

November 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

27. Gorgeous!

November 14, 2012 at 11:37 am

28. Really good shot! And the selective colour on the bicycle is a great touch! I am using the B+W ND110 and i must say that i am always surprised with what a 10 stop filter can do in daylight!

November 14, 2012 at 3:29 pm

29. wow..amazing work..cud u tell me hw u gave clr to the bicycle alone??

November 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

• Thanks so much. I used Topaz B&W Effects to do the B&W conversion. The bicycle was actually red so I used the selective brush in topaz to bring back the color in the image selectively. If you haven’t used Topaz B&W effects you can download a free trial http://www.topazlabs.com/428.html If you decide to purchase it you can get a 15% discount by using the code ELPhoto. Hope that helps.

November 16, 2012 at 10:13 am