It’s All in the Eyes!

Well I think this is the longest I’ve gone without posting and I wasn’t even on vacation. I must say it was nice to take a bit of a break and catch up on so many items on my to-do list.

If you remember, when I returned from Houston last month where I took a pet photography workshop, I indicated that I really enjoyed shooting in a studio and being able to control the lighting. This past weekend I took a half day Studio Lighting course (not long enough but good as a starter) so that I can learn the basics. Our model, Kelly, was gorgeous and really made our job easier.

portrait, studio, studio photography, model, Edith Levy Photography

portrait, studio, studio photography, model, Edith Levy Photography

About these ads

1. Beautiful lighting Edith! Nice portraits.

April 10, 2014 at 10:04 am

2. I’ve only done a little bit of studio/model work, but what little I’ve done suggests that having a photogenic model who is comfortable in that environment is a really useful thing to have when you’re trying to get to grips with lights/exposures/etc.

April 10, 2014 at 10:31 am

• LOL…it certainly helps Stephen. She was great. Not only is she beautiful but she knew exactly what to do with very little direction.

April 10, 2014 at 11:51 am

• I borrowed a set of Bowens 500w with softboxes from college once, using family members as subjects. Never again, I think I’ll get myself a tailor’s manikin the next time I want to venture down that track!

April 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm

3. Nice photos Edith!

April 10, 2014 at 10:58 am

4. Lighting makes all the difference. Great portraits, Edith.

April 10, 2014 at 11:32 am

5. Smashing photos Edith, really lovely. If ever I ventured down the studio root, I’d certainly do as you did and take a course. I think there are studios for hire here in Cornwall. I’ve not really looked into it but perhaps I’ll give it a go one of these days. For now I’m very comfortable with natural and a reflector. That’ll do me for now, so much to do always!! :-)

April 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm

• Thanks Adrian.I’ve always been a bit resistant going down this path but I am quite enjoying it.

April 10, 2014 at 12:45 pm

6. Edith, these are great! How was the experience for you? I’ve recently started doing portraits and didn’t realize how difficult and stressful the process was. I’ve been teaching myself how to use lighting and have some great books on the topic, and I absolutely love playing with, and manipulating light.

Where was the seminar? A coworker recently told me about a lighting workshop coming to the Convention Centre sometime soon… but I forget when exactly.

April 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm

• Shane it was a terrific starter workshop that I did at Vistek. I know Henry’s also offers them but the dates didn’t work for me. I’m really glad i took the course as it introduced me to the basics. I’ve been practising at home and it is difficult but I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. Let me know about the workshop at the Convention Centre. Who’s it being given by?

April 10, 2014 at 12:47 pm

• I’ll have to ask my coworker tomorrow when he’s back. I can’t seem to find it right now.

Glad you’re enjoying it. I’ve learned a lot from Robert Harrington – 1 light, 16 looks which you can find on the B&H YouTube channel. And, Google videos of Frank Doorhof. He is an absolute master of off-camera flash photography. He simplifies things really well.

April 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm

7. These are beautiful, Edith! Love the lighting and definitely the catch light on the eyes. Very pleasing.

April 10, 2014 at 1:26 pm

8. wow, simply gorgeous!

April 10, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Looks like you have been shooting portraits for a while Edith. Beautifully captured.

April 10, 2014 at 5:02 pm

10. Very nice Edith, well done.

April 11, 2014 at 6:51 am

11. She is stunning, and these photographs are wonderful, Edith.

April 11, 2014 at 8:29 pm

She is gorgeous and you photographed her beautifully (didn’t I tell you that we would be here when you got back :-) )

April 12, 2014 at 8:00 am

13. Another string to your bow, Edith. Love these shots and she’s a very photogenic model.

April 13, 2014 at 2:28 pm

14. Wow such intensity in the eyes! Glad to see you rested up and blogging again :)

April 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

15. Beautiful work Edith!

April 15, 2014 at 9:34 pm