Toronto Centre for the Arts

The Toronto Centre for the Arts, located in the north part of Toronto opened it’s doors in 1993 as the North York Performing Arts Centre. It’s name was later changed to the Ford Centre for Performing Arts after a major donation was made and later renamed to its current name…The Toronto Centre for the Arts.

Last week I had the opportunity to photograph the interior of the centre.  Access was arranged by my photography club and I and 15 other inconspicuous, tripod toting individuals descended upon tho slovenly space. The unfortunate part was that the Main Stage was off limits as a show was being set up at the time. We did however have access to one of the smaller theatres and the lovely Art Deco lower and upper lobby.

The challenge in photographing in an interior space such as this, with close to 30 photographers, is that inevitably someone walks through your shot. As respectful and mindful as you try to be it just happens when you have that many photographers. On the flip side the advantage to attending one of these types of outings is that you can share ideas and techniques with like minded individuals.

Here’s one view of the lower lobby processed in both colour and black and white. What I love about this space this the Art Deco look and when I looked at all the converging lines and details I thought this would look great in B&W. Which do you prefer? I can tell you that I asked my son the same question last night and he unequivocally choose the colour. I’m undecided.

Click on the images to enlarge to see a higher resolution (it really does look better) or to Purchase a Print.

Toronto Centre for the Arts, lobby, interior, Art Deco, North York, North Toronto, Theatre, Black and White, Monochrome

About these ads

1. I adore Art Deco and both shots are so lovely. I think my favorite is the B&W since we mostly saw Art Deco on TV shows which were B&W “back then”. I love the feeling of old movies when I see these images. Thank you!

April 17, 2014 at 11:30 am

2. Both shots are wonderful! I can’t choose

April 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm

3. Wonderful place. I really like theB&W treatment.

April 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm

4. leecleland

Both are lovely shots but with the colour my eye is drawn along the lines on the floor to the blue at the top of the stairs and want to stay there, whereas with the B&W I stay with the Art Deco and my eyes move all around the image. I still like the colour because these colours work so well together.

April 17, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Beautiful image Edith. Bothe the B&W and color are awesome but if forced to pick, I’d go with the color one.

April 18, 2014 at 10:38 am

6. A beautiful building Edith, lovely photos. I could go with either version. Both smashing!

April 18, 2014 at 1:24 pm

7. I really love this in black and white, Edith. So nice.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

April 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm

What a place!!

April 18, 2014 at 10:07 pm

9. There’s more than a hint of Art Deco in that interior to my eye, Edith. That looks a beautiful space.

April 19, 2014 at 3:53 am

10. The colour version – juuuust! The combination of colours work well with the strong lines on the floor and that fabulous blue leading you into the image.
    Scrolling up/down on the screen the B&W seems to work better (for me!) in a different aspect ratio when the top 25% is cut off (just below the first twin set of ceiling spots).

April 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

11. It’s an amazing building. I love art deco. I love the old movie feel of the black and white but I think I’m going to go with the color picture this time. Those colors just really pop, especially the blue. It’s just gorgeous! :)

April 24, 2014 at 8:08 am

12. They’re both great, a lovely composition and a stunning interior to photograph.

April 25, 2014 at 5:18 am