Upstairs Downstairs

Happy Monday Everyone and a very Happy Easter for all those that celebrate. I hope you had an amazing weekend. I’m happy to report that it was a glorious weekend, weather wise. I think (and I hold my breath as I say this) that Spring is finally here.

Here’s another image for the Toronto Centre for the Arts. This was taken from the upper lobby level of the centre looking down on the multiple staircases that leads to the lower lobby. I love the contrast between the wood railings and the chrome of the staircases.

Click on the image to enlarge (it really does look better in high resolution) or to Purchase a Print.

Toronto Performing Arts Centre, lobby, interior, Art Deco, North York, North Toronto, Theatre, upper lobby, staircase

About these ads

1. Beautifully finished, of course, but so full of lines and curves. A photograph requiring a lot of study.

April 21, 2014 at 7:32 am

2. PERFECT FOR A PERSON WHO IS ON DIET BUT DOES NOT LIKE GOING OUTSIDE FOR JOGGING:)

April 21, 2014 at 8:00 am

3. Simply gorgeous! This place is amazing with all the lines going everywhere.

April 21, 2014 at 8:36 am

The geometry of this is amazing Edith. Great processing job too. Makes me feel like I am standing there.

April 21, 2014 at 9:23 am

5. Wow. Excellent photo. The composition is wonderful. I love the way that you took this from below the staircase railing, because that railing swooping in from the left begins pulling my eye into the photo and then transitions to the wood top of the railing to finish the job (on the left). The exposure looks perfect too with great detail throughout the photo. You are absolutely right that you can’t come close to appreciating this image in the low resolution image. I have few couple of questions if you don’t mind: (i) Did you stack images to get everything in focus; (ii) did you use something like Topaz’s Star Effects to get those nice six pointed stars; and, finally, did you have to arrange a special time to get into the center in order to take your shots (given that there are no people)?

April 21, 2014 at 9:50 am

• Thank you so much for the wonderful comments Rob. To answer your question I shot this with a 10-22mm lens. This isn’t focus stacking but rather an HDR. I shot 3 bracketed exposures and then processed them in Photomatix. I then brought the image into Lightroom and adjusted the shadows and highlights slighting and the the luminosity on a couple of color channels (I believe the oranges and reds). I’m not at home to check but I shot with a large aperture I believe either f/16 or f/18 which increased the depth of field so that everything is in focus. When you shoot closed down like this a light source (such as the sun or in this case the lights) will produce a star effect. I hope that helps.

April 21, 2014 at 11:15 am

• Oops…forgot to answer one more question. I was there in the evening. It was arranged through my Photography Club. There were no shows going on that night so aside from other photographers getting into my shots we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

April 21, 2014 at 11:20 am

• Thanks for the reply. A great shot. My local camera club has never tried getting into facilities like yours did. I’m going to have to work on that.

April 21, 2014 at 9:50 pm

• My pleasure. You’d be surprised the places that you can access when your part of a club. You just need to ask.

April 21, 2014 at 10:24 pm

6. i think you have had more than enough winter in that part of the world! here’s hoping it’s over. :)

April 21, 2014 at 11:24 am

7. That is one beautiful shot! I love the way you processed it. Very nice!!

April 21, 2014 at 11:40 am

8. This is fantastic, Edith!
    I love the lines and colors.
    Wishing you a wonderful week.

April 21, 2014 at 4:56 pm

9. Love the way the lines of all the stair rails draw my eyes through the image.

April 21, 2014 at 8:25 pm

10. Awesome photo Edith!!!

April 21, 2014 at 9:03 pm

11. Wow. I love it.

April 22, 2014 at 2:32 pm

12. This is really great, love the lines Edith, how is the pet photog business going?

April 22, 2014 at 4:12 pm

13. How beautiful!!

April 22, 2014 at 10:47 pm

14. Beautiful processing Edith. Wonderful work!

April 22, 2014 at 11:15 pm

15. Saw this on FB and loved it. Looks great here as well. One of my favorite type of images, plenty of lines. Nice perspective as well with those hand rails leading us into the scene.

April 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

16. So much to take in with this great shot Edith, I love the lines and details here! Awesome!!

April 25, 2014 at 4:59 pm

17. Beautiful detail!

April 27, 2014 at 6:02 pm

18. Fantastic. I love all the details.

May 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm