Chasing Sunsets

Project 52 – Entry #6

The photographic goal for this week was to capture a sunset. My plan went a little awry when I got to the pond not far from my home and came across a whole bunch of geese (I guess the correct term is a gaggle) and ducks and their respective families.

So forgetting about my original quest for the moment off I went chasing my fine feathered friends.

Canon EOS Xti, Sigma 18 - 200mm f/7.1 1/50 200mm

This duck was watching over its many ducklings as they were playing in a muddy patch on the side of the path. She was just in a perfect spot because the setting sun was coming through the bushes which gave this shot it’s golden glow.

Canon EOS Xti, Sigma 18 - 200mm, f/6.3 1/100 24mm

As the geese were parading down the path I got down low and prepared to take a picture of them walking towards me when all of the sudden this little girl ran in front of me to see the babies. Perfect! Sometimes things happen for a reason. I desaturated the background a touch to get a more “vintage” look.

Canon EOS Xti, Sigma 10-22mm, f/22 0.4 20mm

Finally what I came for. This is a 3 shot bracketed exposure processed as a HDR image (this post is getting lengthy so I’ll save the HDR conversation for next week’s post)

A Parting Shot…someone wasn’t so impressed with my picture taking abilities.

1. lorrainie

just love the lighting! Your picture of the pond is so serene – nice job!

June 8, 2011 at 7:51 am

2. Edythe

I LOVE the one with the little girl! Stunning photo!!!!

June 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

3. Jan Winther

Absolutely amazing sunset shot.

June 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

4. Ethan

great pictures

June 9, 2011 at 10:12 am

5. The one of the little girl is super! Nice capture 🙂

June 10, 2011 at 6:50 am

6. aww this is very cute. those ducks are just adorable!

June 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm

7. Wow Edith! you’re amazing. I studied photography at York University. I loved being in the dark room. I just bought a Sony NEX-5. I haven’t had a chance to really play with it but I hope to this summer. I love the shot of the little girl. Just WOW!!!

June 11, 2011 at 5:13 pm

• Thanks Josie. I’ve always been a shutterbug and the last couple of years I’ve taught myself photoshop and other post processing tools. I had no idea you studied photography. Maybe we can compare notes one day.

June 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm

8. If I could spend my days taking pictures I would but my kids got fed up with me lying on home plate with the camera between their legs.

Photoshop was my second favorite find after my camera.

June 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

9. Great set of photos!
    That sunset is spectacular . I love the detail on that first shot as well. Adorable!

June 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm

10. Rob

Perfect golden reflection that compliments the mallard. The sunset is stunning, but the child in the pink dress is cute. A fun project you started here.

June 14, 2011 at 10:39 am