Commedia Dell ‘Arte….

Project 52 – Entry #11

….or “art of comedy” if you will, got its start in 16th century Italy. A Commedia dell ‘arte  performance was the first form of improvisational comedy where the performers were given an outline and only had a limited amount of time to conceive a story to perform. Stock characters were used in each performance and these characters were depicted through costumes and masks.

Why the very short lesson on this art form? Well my background is in theatre and theatre history was an area of study that I truly enjoyed in University. Maybe this explains my affinity to photographing commedia dell ‘arte masks when I was in Venice.

Don’t forget you can click on the image to view a larger version.

Canon XTi, Sigma 18 – 200mm, f/16, 0.8, 154mm ISO 100

Canon XTi, Sigma 18 – 200mm, f/6.3, 1/50 200mm

Canon XTi, Sigma 18 – 200mm, f/5.6, 1/60, 134mm ISO 400

1. Great images Edith. I really like the SC of the second shot. Great job!

July 26, 2011 at 9:05 am

2. Thanks for the info, it really makes the images more than just photos! I agree with Phillip about the cs on the second shot. It makes that mask stand out, where in a full color version, it might get lost in all the others. (can’t see the the tree because of the forrest kind of thing) 🙂

July 26, 2011 at 11:09 am

3. Edith, Nice photos and I like the way you highlighted the mask in the second one.

July 26, 2011 at 11:35 am

4. Rob

The masks are works of art, a bit of comedy in your second image. Did you purchase one for yourself? We were pleased that the mask we bought for my niece survived the trip home.

July 28, 2011 at 10:32 am

• Hi Rob, they really are beautiful. I didn’t end up buying one because Venice was my first stop and didn’t want to carry it around. I figured I ‘d have plenty of pictures to remind me of them.

July 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm

5. Love the colors and details in these shots, outstanding!

July 28, 2011 at 11:03 am

6. I love how you can almost feel the texture of these. Brilliant captures, Edith.

(Is is just me, or is the light somehow softer in Italy. There’s a glow to it that just pops!)

July 31, 2011 at 12:59 am

7. Wonderful Edith! I have masks exactly like the first and the third hanging in my room!! Sounds like the trip went well!

July 31, 2011 at 11:36 am

• Thanks Adam. The trip was amazing and I have lots of shots to post….I just need to get through all the processing. I already want to go back. I just love Italy.

July 31, 2011 at 9:12 pm