Scarborough Bluffs

Project 52 – Entry #13

I didn’t want everyone to think that I haven’t touched my camera since returning from Italy. Last Sunday I decided to take a drive out to Scarborough Bluffs as I’ve always wanted to take pictures there. It was beautiful when we set off but the clouds started to roll in when we got to the beach. The Scarborough Bluffs stretch for about 14km along Lake Ontario in downtown Toronto. I arrived at the spot where I wanted to shoot and set up my tripod and camera. The clouds were pretty heavy and then all of a sudden a small opening appeared and these rays of light started to shine through.

Canon XTi, Sigma 10 - 20mm, f/22, 1/8, 10mm

The point of view is just slightly different on the shot below as there’s more of the trees visible in the foreground. I converted this one into B&W as I think the drama of the scene lent itself to it.  Do you have a preference??

Canon XTi, 10 - 20mm, f/22, 1/6, 10mm

1. Both are awesome!

August 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm

2. Excellent images Edith. I think I like the B&W a little better as I think the textures of the foreground rocks pop a little more.

August 15, 2011 at 7:40 am

3. I think I have to go with the colored one, goes a bit better with the light through the clouds, but these are both fantastic! Just stunning work my friend!

August 15, 2011 at 8:04 am

4. Great shot, Edith. It pays to press onward regardless of the sky. Clouds are often our friend. 🙂

I like the color version better than the B&W, although both are really good. Well done!

August 15, 2011 at 9:23 am

5. What a beautiful subject…so much drama! I love the clouds (and both versions…I might lean a little more to the colored version. It seems to showcase the light just a touch more).

August 15, 2011 at 9:40 am

6. Love the light in this Edith! The color version is great and the textures are wonderful.

August 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

7. Wow – spectacular shots! I love that first one – is it in HDR?

August 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm

• Thanks Fiona. Yes both of these images were 3 exposures then tonemapped in Photomatix.

August 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm

8. Edith, The rays of light add a nice touch! I like the color version too!

August 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

9. This is a REAL tough call for me, I do love ’em both so much! I guess I’d have to choose the color version; for some reason those wonderful sun rays are just slightly more pronounced and seem to jump out of my monitor here!!

August 15, 2011 at 6:47 pm

10. Both look great but I’d have to say the colour shot wins out for me. I think the light coming through the clouds looks better in the colour shot.

August 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm

11. Edythe

I absolutely loooooooove the coloured one! Stunning photo! I expect nothing less from you E!!!!

August 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm

12. Great shot, Edith. I prefer the colored one because, to me at least, it creates a moodier image. I expect the contrasts (in other words, mood) in a B&W image, but to get that same type of mood in a (subdued) color image is awsome. 🙂

August 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm

13. I think the light rays show a little better in the colour version, but overall I prefer the black and white. But I’m biased, since I love black and white landscapes! Either way, it’s a very nice shot.

August 17, 2011 at 7:49 am

14. Fabulous captures Edith!! I hope you enjoyed your trip! I am heading to Ravello, Amalfi, Positano, and Sorrento this weekend for some shooting. My GF and I are going to take the cooking class another time.

August 17, 2011 at 8:20 am

• Oh I’m jealous Adam. I want to go back already. I can hardly wait to see your pictures.

August 17, 2011 at 11:25 pm

15. Rob

Excellent work! I prefer the color image. The rays of sunlight pop more.

August 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm

16. I love both of these images. You did an amazing job Edith!

August 18, 2011 at 1:32 am

17. superbe ces deux traitement des couleurs !

August 19, 2011 at 1:28 am