Bagel Time!

Now if you’re in Montreal on a Sunday morning (or any morning really) there’s a time-honoured tradition that you must have a bagel for breakfast…preferably with some lox and cream cheese. There are many great bagel places in Montreal, where they hand-roll and bake the bagels in a large wood fired stone oven. Our favourite (and home of the original Montreal Bagel) is Fairmount Bakery.

When it first opened in 1919 the bakery was located on a little lane just off of St. Lawrence Boulevard which was known back then as “The Main.” In 1949 the bakery moved to Fairmount Street (just one block north of St. Lawrence) where it still resides today. Mmmmm you just can’t beat a hot, fresh Montreal bagel (hmmm…I think I may hear from some New Yorkers after I post this 🙂 )

The image above is 3 bracketed exposures processed with Photomatix and then using Topaz Adjust 5 I applied the Vintage Grunge Preset 2 from the Film Collection.

1. Simply great processing Edith. Love the comp. You’ve found my weakness, bagels. Well done.

December 9, 2011 at 7:32 am

2. Great processing Edith!

December 9, 2011 at 7:56 am

3. Very nicely done, Edith. That Vintage Grunge filter looks nice, adds a little old-time feel to the image. Now that you’ve made me hungry… 🙂

December 9, 2011 at 9:27 am

4. Now I want some bagels:) I always love your pictures:)

December 9, 2011 at 11:16 am

5. I love your photograph! It reminds me of someone’s artwork that I have seen on cards.. Very nice!

December 9, 2011 at 12:17 pm

6. Great images, Edith! I have sent a link to your post here today home to Mrs. Toad and I am sure she’ll be thrilled to see another glimpse of her hometown through your lens! Great stuff here, my friend, really enjoyed this post today!

December 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

7. Awesome shots Edith! I like how you used the wide angle lens for the second shot.

December 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm

8. Great shot, Edith. The frame really completes the image. ….now i wanna try one of those bagels….

December 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm

9. Edith, I really like the way you processed these!

December 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm

10. Love your post processing on the first image, Edith. Very cool!

December 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm

11. A little twist on the bagel store. Nice.

December 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

12. Love the look you created with that top shot. Looks cool.

December 10, 2011 at 11:51 am

13. Oh that looks like a great place! i love those home made bagels!

December 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm

14. Gerry

If you recall Edith, the Main also had great “steamer and fries” shops which were always great for a quick lunch. Liked your shots of the bagel shop a lot; the vintage look always brings back memories. Gerry

December 11, 2011 at 12:16 am

• Thanks Gerry. Yes you could get great “steamers & fries” on the Main and there’s still a few of those left.

December 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm

15. A great picture. I like the HDI quality with that Vintage Grunge. Looks almost like an illustration from a different time period. Well done post-processing.

December 11, 2011 at 7:02 am

16. Great shot Edith. I really like the style. Wonderful job!

December 11, 2011 at 10:52 am

17. Really like the processing here, Edith! The vintage grunge look has actually bad this look more like an old-fashioned postcard rather than the look I normally associate with grunge filters. I think the look is very appropriate for this subject.

December 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm

18. Wonderful Edith. I felt like I was standing right there in front of the shop

December 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm

19. As someone who grew up in New York and saw first-hand how bagels are really made, I’d like to go on record and tell the world that just baking bread dough into a ring shape doesn’t make it a bagel. Almost all the bagels here in Texas fail the authenticity test, but I hope yours are the real thing.

Steve Schwartzman

December 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

• Thanks for visiting Steve and for comenting. I can say with confidence that Montreal bagels are the real thing.

December 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm

20. Steve charbonneau

The best part of your picture is that it reflects an almost exact image of my memory of the bakery. Having grown up nearby, and now living far away, I recollect images of my youth and this one has now surfaced thanks to your wonderful work.

Your image, because of its excellence, is connecting with many people – well done.

Much appreciated,

Steve Charbonneau

December 16, 2011 at 6:53 am

21. Pingback: Some Cool Links for Photography Addicts » Beauty life

22. I love that first shot, Edith! The way you treated the details makes the details stand out. Very nice! And you’re right, the Montreal bagels are the best. 😉

December 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm

23. What a creative work. I loved especially the first one. Thank you dear Edith Levy, with my love, nia

December 20, 2011 at 6:19 am