By The Lake – A Vintage View

This is another image from my stroll by the lake last weekend. I’ve been experimenting with textures recently and when I was processing this shot I was visualizing an old 50’s postcard look. I tried 2 different textures. In this first image I used a texture that was a bit more distressed looking and in Photoshop used the “screen” blending mode.

In this second image I used a different, much subtler texture, used a “soft light” blending mode and desaturated the overall image.

Now here’s where you come in…which one do you prefer?

1. They’re both great, but i think I like the first one better. It looks like you just found it in an old scrapbook.

February 10, 2012 at 7:41 am

2. BoJo Photo

I prefer the top one. I agree with Steven. Often old photos seem to grow lighter as they age so I think the first one goes well as an aged photo.

Very nicely done and what a great walk way!

February 10, 2012 at 8:17 am

3. Very cool. I really like the first one. Looks like some of my parent’s photo albums.

February 10, 2012 at 8:44 am

4. Great set of images Edith but I think I prefer the first image. Something about that texture overlay appeals to me.

February 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

5. Rich McPeek

Super photos and work Edith. I’m going to say I like the 1st one as well. I like the more distressed look of it.

February 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

6. What a wonderful set of images. They are also a great use of subtle textures. That first shot is spot on retro; I love it!

February 10, 2012 at 9:03 am

7. Wonderful processing, Edith! I think the first one takes the day, as it really captures a by-gone era. 😉

February 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

8. I enjoy the worm tones in your first image.

February 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

9. Lovely processing Edith 🙂

February 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

10. These are lovely Edith, I see you’ve been bitten by the Texturing Bug! I like the top one the best as it is warmer and sunnier than the bottom one, which has a slightly melancholy mood. But then it entirely depends on the effect you are after – both work well in their own right.

February 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

11. Edith
    I like the images but neither evoke a 50’s post card for me. My recollection is that they were brassier and in your face. Just my opinion, since you’ve asked.

February 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

12. Both images are nice, Edith. But the top gets my vote. It’s much more nostalgic and seems like a treasured memory.

February 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm

13. I like both but the first one is the definite winner. This one looks like you have pulled it from an old scrapbook whereas the second just looks like it has faded from being left on a window-ledge.

February 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

14. sil

The first one for me too. Looks warmer and more nostalgic. Great image!

February 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

15. At first I really loved the first one best, but then thought “which one would I buy to hang on my wall” and the winner was the second! But loved both:)

February 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm

16. Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the feedback today.

February 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

17. Humm… hard to choose, I like the first one for the gold tone, and the second one for soft result. Nice work, Edith.

February 10, 2012 at 10:40 pm

18. I prefer the top one, really cool!

February 11, 2012 at 11:18 am

19. I prefer the second of the two. The first is to0 much of an imitation of a painting. And I always prefer the real thing before the imitation. Both have great graphic qualities, though, but I like the simple expression of number two. The toned down palette, the muted, cool colours and the roughness of the “surface”. The graphic quality suites the peaceful and calm scenery.

February 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

20. Love the first one, kind of adds an old feel to the shot !!!
    somehow the second one just does not make it to me, kind of looks a bit dark and blurred …

February 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm

21. Superb work Edith – I especially like the first image… love the vintage/retro look to it!

February 13, 2012 at 2:50 am