Cougar Town….I Mean…Time

Back to the Muskoka Wildlife Centre today. As I mentioned in my original post in this series, the cougar enclosure was the only one we weren’t allowed to enter. We had to photograph Kokanee the Cougar through the chain link fence. Aside from the difficulty of shooting through the fence (which was casting shadows), I was also positioned on a slippery snow covered slope, sandwiched between the fence and a line of trees which made it difficult to move around and track Kokanee’s movements to get a better shot. Here are a couple of shots that made the cut for today’s post.

You can click on the image to enlarge.

Now I thought to myself wouldn’t it have been neat if it was snowing that day….”I wonder how this would have looked in the snow.”  Using Perfect Effects I added some snow to this winter scene.  What do you think???

1. Excellent shots despite the awkward position Edith. Those last two images look really scary. Maybe he was hungry…

February 27, 2012 at 7:18 am

2. They are all awesome Edith! I think I have to go with the second one as my favorite, wow!

February 27, 2012 at 7:19 am

3. I think this cougar is a bit hungry for a nice fillet and some taters! And because you asked, I’m not diggin the snow shot as it is not blending in well with the background to make it feel “real” so to say. I love Perfect Effects, but their rain/snow tools just don’t do it for me.

February 27, 2012 at 7:36 am

4. I really like the last shot Edith. The line in the snow leads you to the cougar’s face. Adding falling snow was a great idea!

February 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

5. Rich McPeek

Awesome shots Edith! I like the snow effect! Great work!

February 27, 2012 at 8:51 am

6. Since you asked… there is something about the snow that is two dimensional. If you hadn’t put up both photos maybe… but the snow falls on a gray day… Perhaps it’s the fact that the flakes are all about the same size and this gives a lack of depth.

February 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

• Thanks for the feedback Victor. OnOne Perfect Photo Suite is an awesome tool which I just purchased so I’m trying out new things. Was interested to see how the snow effect looked.

February 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

7. Sweet shots Edith! I really like the middle one, he looks so angry though! I don’t really like the snow effect in this image because it doesn’t blend well. Maybe it would blend if the image wasn’t so sunny. I’ve never used the snow effect but if you could make the flakes a bit larger and have less of them as well.

February 27, 2012 at 8:57 am

8. awesome Edith, love that snow shot!!

February 27, 2012 at 9:47 am

9. These are really awesome shots, Edith! The last one with the snow is very special. 😉

February 27, 2012 at 9:59 am

10. I like the snow added in. Well done.

February 27, 2012 at 10:25 am

11. Those last two shots are great!

February 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

12. The effect works pretty well here.
    Nice shots!

February 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

13. sil

Love them all! Great captures, Edith! Really like the one with the snow too 🙂

February 27, 2012 at 1:42 pm

14. Really really good! Love it how she is looking at you with those beautiful eyes. Nice work.

February 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm

15. Great wildlife shots. Nice mean look on his face!

February 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

16. WOW! What a looking eyes… You captured such a beautiful moments dear Edith Levy, I loved them all. This should be so exciting too, I could die for these moments… Thank you, with my love, nia

February 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm

17. Great captures Edith. I think I like the second shot without the snow best.

February 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm

18. Well, I’m glad I wasn’t the other side of the wire with this cat! The eyes hold the attention, very well captured. The snow effect looks OK to me. I find the small area of ‘no snow’ top left of frame slightly distracting. Have you tried cloning the lying snow to cover all the background?

February 27, 2012 at 5:16 pm

• Thanks Andy. No I didn’t clone any of the snow but that’s a good idea. I’ll play with it some more.

February 28, 2012 at 12:05 am

19. Beautiful photos. I’ve always held cougars to be one of my favorite cats.

February 27, 2012 at 8:38 pm

20. Wonderful capture, Edith! and love what you did with the snow, it’s pretty awesome. Can I ask where did you find that texture? Thanks! 🙂

February 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm

• Thanks Anne. For the snow I used OnOne Perfect Photo Suite – Perfect Effects. I just picked up this software last week and still learning it but I’m really enjoying some of the things you can do with it.

February 28, 2012 at 12:06 am

21. Nice shot Edith. He really looks hungry!

February 27, 2012 at 10:35 pm

22. Awesome series Edith, my favorite is the first shot

February 28, 2012 at 11:16 am

23. Wow, Edith, what a set of shots! That cougar there looks pretty darned serious to me! Love these!!!!

February 28, 2012 at 2:41 pm

24. Nice set of images, Edith. The second one, although a slightly awkward looking pose brings out the raw dynamic of the animal. Not keen on the snow effect on the last image as it looks too one dimensional.

February 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm

25. Fantastic shots… honestly, I don’t like the 3rd one… before reading your post I thought to myself is this real snow or digital? It didn’t look real to my eye. But I honestly love the 2nd image so I would go with it as is 🙂

February 28, 2012 at 8:12 pm

26. Kris Koeller

Awesome shots!

February 28, 2012 at 10:25 pm

27. Great shots, Edith. I like the snow effect, but really, the shot doesn’t need it, it’s great by itself.

March 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm