Portland Head + 200

I know it’s Friday and this is supposed to be iPhone Friday day. Not to worry it will return next week.  Last Friday I shared with you images of Portland Head taken with my iPhone and today I’d like to share a couple of my DSLR images. I’ve finally finished processing them and I have a few more of this fabulous lighthouse to share in the next little while.

Oh…you’re wondering what the “+ 200” is all about in the title? Well today’s post marks my 200th. Perhaps not a huge cause for celebration but it is, none the less, a milestone for me and I wanted to share with all of you. I’d like to say once again thank you for all your visits and comments.

Click on the images to enlarge (honest it really looks better) or to Purchase a Print.

Portland, Maine, Portland Head, lighthouse, sunrise, travel photography, landscape, cliff

Topaz Labs has released a photoFXlab v1.2 update. In addition to some necessary bug fixes, v1.2 will also feature….

•  the ability to save you project (layers using a new .tpz file format)
  •  3 party-plug-in support (select .8bf plug-ins)
  •  Cropping Grid overlay (stand-alone mode only)
  •  Aperture plug-in support

This update is free for current owners. If you don’t have it yet you can use the coupon code  “createFX” to purchase photoFXlab for $29.99.  This discount will be valid until 08/31/12.

1. Ah… you needed some clouds to add depth and more color to the sunrise. And it’s always been a problem for me to handle the Ram’s head light in the background. Forget it or try to get it into the shot. I’ve never been able to get both at the same time. The light is too far away and too monotone to be interesting without waves breaking the island. Good effort.

August 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

• Thanks Victor. Clouds would have been nice but mother nature has a mind of her own. I read recently on Ian Plant’s blog not to be dismayed if the light isn’t as we would want it but to work with what we’re given. I guess this is a good example of that.

August 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm

2. Two great shot’s The bottom one does it for me, with the sun up and a bit more light on the foreground, congrats on the 200th post.

August 24, 2012 at 9:06 am

• Thanks so much Mark. The second is my favorite as well and I was debating whether to include the first one too and thought the difference in light was a nice contrast.

August 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm

3. Edith, I like the second photo a bunch. I’ll have to add Portland to my stops on my next trip to Maine.

August 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

4. Rick

Yea! Congrats on 200! Love that second shot. Killer!

August 24, 2012 at 9:11 am

5. I like the second one also….something about that water….beautiful! YAY 200!!!

August 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

6. Here you can appreciate good art photographic, congratulations on +200

August 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

7. chrisnitz

I need to add this place to my bucket list. I do wish there were more clouds, but you cannot control Ma Nature or what she gives ya.

August 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

8. Awesome photos, Edith! The lighting on the second shot is incredible!

August 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

9. Beautiful shots Edith, although I do miss your iphone work! Congrats on the 200! well done, have a great weekend

August 24, 2012 at 11:25 am

• Thanks so much Mike. iPhone Friday will be back next week. 🙂 You have a great weekend too.

August 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm

10. I am a sucker for lighthouses, nice balance in the second image

August 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

11. Lovely, Edith! Like many of the others, I prefer the second image. And congratulations on 200+! Looking forward to the next 200. 🙂

August 24, 2012 at 11:55 am

12. Lovely light and that second shot has that great light on the water. Actually I like it without clouds – you get that great colour shift from blue to gold, and even earlier (at dawn) the sky up high can be the deepest of blues. Clouds can add, but you also lose with clouds. Either way you can get beautiful images

August 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm

13. Mark Summerfield

Lovely light and two nice compositions, Edith. Shame Mother Nature was not forthcoming with a little cloud to finalize the images, but definitely still two shots to be proud of.

August 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

14. Nice photos. Love it. But I see the horizon a little bit tilt.

August 24, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Looks like you had a gorgeous morning Edith and you certainly took advantage of it. Both are wonderful images but I will go with the rest of the commenters on image two. Congrats on #200. Have a great weekend.

August 24, 2012 at 3:38 pm

16. hahaha… I was going to say to Iphone Friday end without me knowing? I didn’t hear anything about ending it so I was surprised. You are one of the few people that take pictures with their phone that I truly enjoy 🙂

August 24, 2012 at 4:14 pm

17. I like both shots but love the light in the second shot. Congrats on 200 posts! Have a great weekend!

August 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm

18. Both pics are quite good, but I love the mood in the first one where the exposure is just a bit low. Good stuff Edith!

August 25, 2012 at 8:47 am

19. First of; congratulations with the 200th post. It is indeed a milestone. And thanks for celebrating the event with these two very nice pictures. I like the first and darker one of the two. It looks more real to me and brings the ambience of the place through in a better way. Yes, the water in the second one has more details and more local contrast, but it’s just a tiny bit to light to make it real for me. Nevertheless two great pictures.

August 25, 2012 at 1:52 pm

20. Congrats on your 200th post. I just hit my 100th post so 200 seems so far away to me 🙂
    Great shots by the way!

August 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm

21. Happy 200. May we all live to that age as well!

Steve Schwartzman

August 27, 2012 at 7:07 am

22. Congrats on 200! We went to this spot about two years ago. Beautiful setting. Great shot!

August 28, 2012 at 9:21 am