Niagara Apothecary

The Niagara Apothecary is located in the heart of Niagara on the Lake, in the same building its occupied for nearly a century and a half. The apothecary went through 6 owners/pharmacists during its existence which spanned from 1818/1820 to 1964, when it closed due to the ill-health of its last owner.   In 1869 the apothecary opened its doors in its present location on Queen Street. It is the only remaining original building of that time left in town.

The building was painstakingly restored by the Ontario Heritage Foundation and turned into a museum in 1971. If you ever find yourself in Niagara on the Lake take a step back in time and visit this gem.

Click on the image to enlarge (it looks better) or to Purchase a Print.

niagara on the lake, Ontario, apothecary, drug store, retro

1. Great shot and processing Edith, looks like a neat old shop

September 13, 2012 at 8:16 am

2. Excellente , bonne idée , belle boutique 😉

September 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

3. Beautifully captured! The colors of the bottles on the shelf pop. Thanks for sharing this piece of history. Things like this is what gives places character!

September 13, 2012 at 8:54 am

4. Rich McPeek

Terrific shot Edith! Love the processing on this one! I’m betting my Grandmother remembers this place. She’s 85 and spent a lot of time in Niagara on the Lake when she was a little girl. Her grandparents lived there and all her uncles owned a “fishery” there.

September 13, 2012 at 9:24 am

• That’s so cool Rich I didn’t realize you had a history in Ontario. I’m sure she would remember it. Thanks.

September 13, 2012 at 10:28 am

5. I love when they restore old buildings!! Great photo :).

September 13, 2012 at 9:25 am

6. Ken Rowland

This looks like a cool place to visit & shoot. Nice photo Edith!

September 13, 2012 at 9:34 am

7. Jim Nix

old places like this are just cool, nice work Edith!

September 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

8. Love the tones and the rustic feeling here Edith!

September 13, 2012 at 10:48 am

9. Love the tones and the rustic feeling in this Edith!

September 13, 2012 at 10:49 am

10. Wow! PLease tell me how you did the editing! 🙂

September 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

• Thanks Ingrid. I shot 3 exposures and merged them using Photomatix Pro. I had to do a bit of de-ghosting as the gentleman moved a few times. Afterwards I brought the image into Photoshop and used Topaz Adjust 5 to bring out a bit of detail in the wood counters. Also removed some noise as I didn’t using a flash and was shooting at ISO 1000 (although I have to say the 7D deals with noise beautifully. There wasn’t that much). Back in Photoshop I adjusted levels slightly. Oops one thing I forgot…before bringing the RAW files into Photomatix I adjusted the temperature, clarity and vibrance slightly.

September 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm

11. Fantastic image, Edith. This one is a classic!

September 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

12. What a great place to photograph, which you definitely did justice to. This is a great composition, especially with the “pharmacist” going about his business. The processing is top notch as well.

September 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

13. Very neat look at an old apothecary!

September 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

14. Well processed Edith

September 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

15. Lovely place, lovely photo – great job!

September 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm

16. I love these museums for photography! Great shot here, Edith, you’ve captured a great scene here that really compels us to come out East and visit it ourselves!

September 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm

17. Hi! 🙂
    I have nominated you for the “One Lovely Blog Award”. Congratulations!
    See: http://arlenshah.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/two-awards-in-one-day/

Arlen Shahverdyan

September 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

18. This just keeps reminding me of an abandoned apothecary that you can walk through in a ghost town in Montana…very cool! Thanks for the blast from the past 🙂

September 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm

19. This is excellent! Brings back a few memories too.

September 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm

20. Muy buen procesamiento, me encantan los lugares antiguos, son bellos!!, muchos besos

September 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

21. Beautiful shot Edith! I really love all of the details!

September 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

22. Very nice! It looks like the photo could be part of a vintage advertisement.

September 25, 2012 at 8:58 pm

23. Pingback: Back to the Niagara Apothecary & Topaz DeNoise « Edith Levy Photography

24. Pingback: Էվրիկա. նորույթ` հայկական բլոգոսֆերայում / Evrika! Innovation in Armenian Blogosphere | Առլեն Շահվերդյան. հեղինակային բլոգ-կայք