A Montreal Landmark – Welcome to Schwartz’s

There are so many things to do and see in Montreal. Having grown up in this city I can appreciate its people; it’s neighbourhoods (some trendy, some not); its European flair and fashion forwardness. It’s a city rich in history and at times in political turmoil. I love it. It’s home, even if I haven’t lived there for years. So what does an ex-Montrealer do when they go back to their old hunting grounds?  Go to Schwartz’s, of course, for the best smoked meat sandwich one will ever eat with fries, a dill pickle and a cherry coke to round off this gastronomical feast.

Click on the image to enlarge (believe me it really looks better) or to Purchase a Print.

Schwartz"s Deli, Montreal, St. Lawrence, The Main, smoked meat, travel photography

1. Love the composition with all the people in front on the building. And the colors are intense and beautiful. Is it topaze treatment?

I lived in Montreal for many years, I love to go back and visit different places. Where is that restaurant? Next time I’ll go to Montreal I will give a visit to that place. 😉

October 17, 2012 at 7:44 am

• Thanks Anne. It’s a great spot. I don’t think the interior has changed since the 70’s. It’s small and cramped but the smoked meat is delicious. Oh and there’s always a line up. I didn’t actually use Topaz for this one. I’m trying a new plug in call Lucis and I really like the effects you can create.

October 17, 2012 at 11:26 am

2. Wonderful shot here, Edith. I like this street scene and the way you have processed it.

October 17, 2012 at 7:49 am

3. Yummy!! Now I’m hungry :).

October 17, 2012 at 7:53 am

Super street scene Edith. Whenever you see a line like that, you always know there is something great to eat.

October 17, 2012 at 7:58 am

5. Sounds wonderful Edith, enjoy your homecoming. Smashing image, I’d love to know how you processed it. 🙂

October 17, 2012 at 8:15 am

• Thanks so much. After some adjustments in ADC and Photoshop I used a software called Lucis to get the final effect.

October 17, 2012 at 11:28 am

• Thank you Edith, I’ll check it out. Really liked the photo. 🙂

October 17, 2012 at 11:56 am

6. Wonderful street scene Edith. Looks like a hopping joint 🙂

October 17, 2012 at 8:15 am

7. Schwartz’s is now added to my list of places to go if I ever make it to Montreal.

October 17, 2012 at 8:37 am

8. Really cool shot, processing is great, love the people queuing.

October 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

9. Nice shot and interesting processing, Edith. You’ve really captured the detail. Nice job!

October 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

10. Damn, that is a hopping place!

October 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

11. Super street scene and after reading that menu option I’m *really* hungry!

October 17, 2012 at 11:06 am

12. Excellent shot, Edith! I agree, Schwartz’s is the best! When friends come to town, I always make sure nobody leaves without having a taste of Schwartz’s smoke meat first!

October 17, 2012 at 11:08 am

13. Great street scene, Edith! Looks to be a very popular place by crowd standing outside. Glad I waited ’till after lunch to view this 🙂

October 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

14. Hey Edith – love the old city feel and the processing. initially thought it was single shot HDR an read thru the comments reg Lucis. It is a nice plugin, really like the effect that the structure option creates in it ……

October 17, 2012 at 2:08 pm

• Thanks Sathya. It’s funny I actually did shot multiple exposures and I did process them but wasn’t crazy about the way it turned out. this was the vision I had in my head for this image and Lucis helped me achieve it.

October 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm

15. Looks like a popular place! Nice shot Edith! I like the brick and stone!

October 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

16. Looks really cool, especially when viewed larger.

October 17, 2012 at 4:57 pm

17. What an amazing shot Edith. I really love what you did here.

October 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm

18. Maksymilian Kapelański

Whenever I’m in the neighbourhood, people ask me the way to this establishment. I myself have commemorated some Montreal streets and places in the form of collector art cards. You can visit for a read and a view: http://xkapelanski.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/montreal-tourist-and-citizen-recue-cards/

October 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm

19. What a great image given what I call an ‘illustrators’ look. Works so well. My son spent over a month in Montreal earlier this year working for Sid Lee (advertising giant) on the London Olympics and then another month in the UK with further work for the same agency. Must ask him if he discovered Schwartz’s

October 18, 2012 at 12:57 pm

• Thanks Andy. Yes let me know if your son went there. I’d love to hear if he enjoyed it.

October 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm

20. cool scene Edith, nicely done!

October 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm

21. That’s just awesome, Edith! Love the character and flair of Montreal! I have sent this one straight home to Mrs. Toad so she too can enjoy a brief visit back to her home area!

October 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm

22. Does look like a very popular place. Very nicely captured – and I like the HDR processing which makes the picture look more like a painting than a photograph.

October 19, 2012 at 4:44 am

23. This picture reminds me of our stay in Paris about 15 years ago. On one of our wanderings we ended up in a Jewish neighborhood, where there were throngs of people outside of l’As du Fallafel (or Falafel Ace in English). We joined them and enjoyed our falafel enough to go back for another round a few days later.

For several decades Austin had Katz’s Delicatessen, but it has gone out of business. The newer Manny’s has also closed, leaving Austin without a Jewish delicatessen.

October 19, 2012 at 7:32 am

• That looks like a great place Steve. Every city needs a Jewish Deli that’s for sure.

October 19, 2012 at 9:10 am

24. Rick

I like this processing! Looks like a painting!

October 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

25. I love this shot Edith! Beautiful work on the processing. I like to see restaurants with a line of people!

October 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm

26. This picture reminds me of Norman Rockwell the great American Painter who used photo realism to a similar effect this picture. Plus, I love a good Deli!

October 21, 2012 at 4:11 pm

27. Thanks for reading some of my pages. You should read “Death of a Deli” Salt Beef sandwiches – my mouth is watering at the thought. There’s so much to look at here.

October 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm