Which Gerber? Another Close Up View

This is another image that I shot at my Close-Up Photography workshop last weekend. After processing the RAW file in colour I felt that this image would be a good candidate to make into a fine art B&W image. When I posted the first image I took at the workshop (which you can see here) I was asked by some of you which lens  I used and my settings.

Everything was shot with natural light and the use of reflectors.

This image was shot at f/2.8, 1/8s ISO 100

After I processed the RAW file in colour I felt that this image would make a good candidate for a fine art black and white conversion. So know I ask for your opinion, which do you prefer 1) Color 2) Antique B&W (created with OnOne Perfect Effects) or 3) B&W created with Topaz B&W Effects Don’t forget you can save 15% on all Topaz products by using the discount code “ELPhoto” at checkout.

Click on the images to enlarge (they really look better) or to Purchase a Print.

macro, flower, gerber

macro, flower, gerber, black and white, antique

Created with OnOne Perfect Effects

macro, flower, gerber, black and white

Created with Topaz B&W Effects

1. WOW! They are all so beautiful Edit Levy, captured me. Thanks and Love, nia

November 15, 2012 at 9:56 am

2. I think I like the OnOne version best. It has just a little exta pop as compared to the Topaz version. Really nice macro work Edith.

November 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

3. Excellent macro, Edith! I too like the version edited with the Perfect Effects software. Although I like the other two, I am more drawn towards the soft color of the photo edited with perfect effects.

November 15, 2012 at 10:22 am

4. I prefer the OnOne image. The color shot is a bit over saturated for my taste and the Topaz seems to have lost a bit of clarity. Beautiful shot, nice job! bill

November 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

• Thanks so much for the feedback Bill. It’s interesting you say that the color one is a bit over saturated. Believe it or not I actually brought down the saturation slider in Photoshop slightly because it was even more saturated right out of the camera.

November 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm

5. Pretty! I like the OnOne best.

November 15, 2012 at 11:55 am

6. Jim

I like the OnOne image better. I really like the color image as well. Great Photo!

November 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm

7. Thanks for taking us into your black and white conversions. My personal attraction for a fine art example would be the OnOne version because the tonal shift brings out more drama in the shadow areas (lol, don’t tell Topaz I said that because I use their plug-ins and not OnOne).

BTW your earlier post on close up photography sparked new thoughts and I dusted off some close up filters and am exploring this concept with my own images. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

November 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm

• Thanks for taking the time to leave a response. I use Topaz BW Effects all the time to do my B&W work and I do love the product. This was the first time that I used Perfect Effects for a B&W conversion and I must say I am please with the results.

November 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm

8. I would vote for the OnOne version. (personally, I would probably blend the OnOne and the color version for a different effect. 😉 )

November 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

9. Mark Summerfield

This is a sweet composition, Edith and as you said, perfect for the Fine Art B&W. As a lot of your other commentators have said, the Topaz version has lost its clarity. I like the tone of the Perfect Effects version but, personally, I prefer the pure B&W so if you could bring back the clarity in the Topaz version it would be my definite winner.

November 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm

• Thanks so Mark. It seems that the OnOne version seems to be getting the votes. Interestingly I did have more detail in the Topaz version but opted to go a little softer to give it a different look. I May go back to it and bring back some of the detail.Thanks again for the feedback.

Edith

________________________________

November 15, 2012 at 4:51 pm

10. Nice. I really like the “onone” version for it’s contrasts.

November 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Terrific image Edith. I really like the Antique B&W as it seems to bring out the details a bit more.

November 15, 2012 at 3:25 pm

12. All three versions of the picture are beautiful in their own rights. I like the subtlety of the colour version, as I like the more profound alterations of the monochromatic versions. My favourite is the second one made with OnOne Perfect Effects. That really makes the tones pop out of the frame.

November 15, 2012 at 4:20 pm

13. The middle shot using Perfect Black and White is money! Awesome!

November 15, 2012 at 5:12 pm

14. All are very nice, Edith. The OnOne version is the most dramatic. . .more contrast that the others. Beautiful images.

November 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

15. My vote goes to the first and the second pictures.

November 15, 2012 at 7:57 pm

16. My vote goes to 2) Antique B&W

November 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

17. Thank you for passing by.

November 16, 2012 at 12:02 am

18. Both are really nice Edith. Between the two, I believe that I like the OnOne picture the best.

November 16, 2012 at 11:23 pm

19. Shutterbug Sage

While I truly love all three, the warm, sunny tones in the first shot is my fav!

November 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm

20. They’re all beautiful – but to answer your question: for me, I think it’s a tie between the colour version and the Antique B&W. Lovely!

November 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm

21. Hi Edith. I’m a new follower of your wonderful work. I’m batting for Team OnOne, but they are all lovely.

November 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm