Time to Simplify

Over a month ago Topaz Labs released an update to its popular Simplify plugin – Topaz Simplify 4.  I updated the latest version when it was released but really didn’t have time to test it out although it was on my to-do list. Well I finally had a chance to try it out this weekend and I was really pleased with the changes that Topaz made to this plug-in.

Aside from some new adjustment sliders and the addition of an edge aware selective brush to dodge, burn, smooth and brush out effects they’ve also included over 100 new presets.

I decided to try out some of the new presets with an image that I felt was just “ok.” I wouldn’t have normally posted this image because I feel there are too many things wrong with it but I really like how Simplify helped me salvage this image. With each of these presets I’ve also used the adjustment sliders to adjust contrast, saturation, curves, etc, depending on what I felt the image needed. Let me know what you think.

If you already have Topaz Simplify and you haven’t upgraded then what are you waiting for…it’s a free upgrade. If you don’t have Simplify then you can download a free trial from the Topaz Labs site…here. If you decide to purchase the plug-in then you can use the discount code ELPHOTO to receive a 15% discount.

Bruce Peninsula National Park, Ontario, Tobermory, rocky shore

Original RAW Image

Bruce Peninsula National Park, Ontario, Tobermory, rocky shore

Topaz Simplify – Watercolor Preset

Bruce Peninsula National Park, Ontario, Tobermory, rocky shore

Topaz Simplify – Oil B&W Preset

Bruce Peninsula National Park, Ontario, Tobermory, rocky shore

Topaz Simplify – Dynamic Boost Preset

1. Wow! How interesting! Love the different version, very artistic.

December 3, 2012 at 8:18 am

2. Great images, Edith. I’m a big fan of Simplify and use it quite often. Your results here are wonderful!

December 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

3. Great creative expressions, Edith. I really like the Oil B&W Preset.

December 3, 2012 at 11:47 am

4. The oil B&W is really nice

December 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm

5. I like the original RAW but then I would. Seriously though great post Edith, looks like a good product and love the way you have used it to great effect.

December 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm

6. Mark Summerfield

The Oil B&W preset looks to provide some useful options, not as the final image but in creating a layer to blend back into the original to add additional texture.

December 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

• Thanks Mark. You’re right you can definitely use any one these as a layer but I really wanted to show what the plug in could do.

December 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm

7. Those turned out great! Especially like the last one.

December 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

8. Fascinating to see the options here. Love the last two versions. A whole new toy cupboard to rummage in – how on earth did I find time to go to work!

December 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm

9. love all these versions Edith, nice work!

December 3, 2012 at 9:43 pm

10. Still prefer the rawshot , it doesnt need anything done to it all, but as for the edited ones , I’ll have to go for the Oil B&W.Always fun to have a play around and see what it turns out like 🙂

December 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

• Thank you I appreciate it. It was fun seeing the different effects I could create.

December 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm

11. Fun to see what is possible with the Topaz Simplify. For me the two colour versions become too simple, though, but the oil black and white preset is really beautiful.

December 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm

12. It’s amazing what presets can do with a photograph.. but only you have the eye to have the right composition:) xx

December 4, 2012 at 9:01 pm