NOLA

I’m Back!  Happy New Year. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and hopefully some time off. I must say that it was wonderful to be away. Every so often I get the travel itch…okay I always have the travel itch…so of course we planned a family vacation in order to reconnect with the kids and have some R&R. A vacation for me is not complete without some photography involved and there was a lot of that so all in all a success.

We spent a few days in New Orleans (a city which I’ve wanted to visit for some time) and it did not disappoint.  The people are wonderful and although I didn’t get to explore as much as I wanted to due to lack of time the French Quarter was all I had heard it to be. After a couple of days in NOLA we boarded the Navigator of the Seas and set sail for the Caribbean.  I opted not to purchase the WiFi package and totally disconnect for 7 days. Well once I got over my withdrawal symptoms I must say it was rejuvenating. If you haven’t completely disconnected from your email, internet, blog, text messages then you really must try it some day. Hey…I survived and not only did I survive I actually enjoyed not having the “pressure” to answer that text or email or tweet.

Actually I was so relaxed that I didn’t do anything (blog/photography business related) that I had planned to do. I was going to write some articles; do some pre-work on a few projects that I’m planning but I was having so much fun relaxing that I didn’t do it. I guess we all need to really take time off sometimes and recharge our batteries and that’s exactly what I did.

Now that I’m back I need to start processing all my images but here’s one from to start off the new year. The best time to photography the French Quarter is at sunrise. The streets are quiet with the exception of a few street artists staking their little piece of real estate in Jackson Square. I was walking down St Peters Street when I came across this little side street just steps from Jackson Square.

Click on the image to enlarge (it really looks better) or to Purchase a Print.

New Orleans, NOLA, St Peters, street, dawn,

1. jimdenham

Lovely colors and textures! Beauty!

January 7, 2013 at 7:52 am

2. Edith, that is a beautiful shot, and I’m so happy for you that you were able to get away :). New Orleans is a place that I would love to visit, but for now I will live vicariously through your photos! Can’t wait to see more.

January 7, 2013 at 7:57 am

• Thank you so much Cindy. It was great to be able to recharge my batteries. I’ve got a lot of images to get through and process.

January 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm

3. what so wonderful picture to start the new year. Happy return to the hectic days 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 8:04 am

4. One of my favorite cities and a great place to take photos! I am absolutely in love with the architecture. Great photo – can’t wait to see the rest. Glad you got away – it is important to take time OFF OF WORK and be able to relax.

January 7, 2013 at 8:12 am

• I agree New Orleans just became a favorite of mine as well. Thanks for visiting and for the comments.

January 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

• I like to visit any city where you can park your car in your hotel garage and never take it out again until you are ready to leave.

January 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

5. Amazing shot!!!

January 7, 2013 at 8:19 am

6. Glad you had a relaxing time, now you know why I love my job so much, I can just switch off. Great shots, can’t wait to see more.

January 7, 2013 at 8:44 am

7. Welcome back home, dear Edith Levy, I am glad to hear that you had a nice holiday. I was in the village and came back now. Wonderful photographs. Thank you, love, nia

January 7, 2013 at 8:59 am

8. Welcome back! Photo is gorgeous. 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 8:59 am

Welcome back Edith. You made a great decision not purchasing the ship’s wifi – more frustration than it is worth. Beautiful image by the way.

January 7, 2013 at 9:03 am

10. Very well captured… 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 9:26 am

11. I LOVE NOLA!! Thanks for posting this…brought back some fun birthday memories from a few years back 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 10:00 am

12. Love the light in this shot Edith. Welcome back.

January 7, 2013 at 11:36 am

13. Hi Edith-You’ve captured a rare quiet moment in the French Quarter. We loved our stop there this year, and my early morning photography walks were my favorite moments. Love capturing the architectural details! Glad you had a good trip.

January 7, 2013 at 11:48 am

14. Mark Summerfield

Happy New Year, Edith!

Nice capture – great details and a perfect balance on the lighting throughout.

January 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm

15. Glad to hear you had a Great Vacation. Best of the New Year.

January 7, 2013 at 2:32 pm

16. we too were sailing the Caribbean on board the Royal Clipper and on purpose I switched off my mobile phone, and did not access the computer/emails/blogs/sms for 10 days. No news, no shoes so to speak, and so liberating….. just back to what holidays used to be.
    Happy blogging in 2013 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm

17. Amazing image, full of colour and vibrancy

January 7, 2013 at 4:06 pm

18. Great shot! Love the idea of disconnecting … i believe the time is near!

January 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm

19. Fantastic image Edith! Glad you were up early to capture this!

January 7, 2013 at 5:57 pm

20. Great image Edith… glad you got some time to unwind and enjoy some family time 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 6:33 pm

21. Like your beautiful photo

January 7, 2013 at 7:23 pm

22. Everyone needs some time to recharge now and then, and I think disconnecting from the internet is a great way to do it! Glad you enjoyed the holiday.

January 7, 2013 at 7:44 pm

23. Awesime Edith, I love that city, I was there with the Red Cross after Katrina, I drove a rental car to the second level of the Superdome and posed, actually went through an opened door and explored, great experience

January 7, 2013 at 7:54 pm

• Thanks Mike. It is a great city I just wish I’d had more time to see more of it. I guess this means I have to go back.

January 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

24. Super Edith, I love that city. I was there with the Red Cross after Katrina, I actually drove my Red Cross issued car up to the second level of the Superdome..and posed, then found an open door and explored, quite the experience

January 7, 2013 at 7:56 pm

25. Happy New Year, my dear friend! I hope you enjoyed the holiday break, Edith.

Nawlins (as pronounced by some) is a great city with plenty of entertainment and history to enjoy. I was there the year before Katrina hit and can hardly wait to return. The French quarter and that Canal Street area is so much fun.

Great side-street shot. Good to see you back in the mix. 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 9:38 pm

• Thanks so much Jimi. I really loved it and can’t wait to get back there. Unfortunately we only had a couple of days so didn’t see as much as I would have liked.

January 7, 2013 at 11:25 pm

26. Beautiful! When I had the picture full screen.. Wonderful! It’s like the warmth comes in the room from the lights. Such a peaceful picture. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet greetings, Summer

January 8, 2013 at 3:28 am

27. I thought you must be putting your feet up somewhere! Welcome back. Side streets are always worth a visit. And this image show why – loads of character. I’m looking forward to your next few posts.

January 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm

28. I just LOVE this part of the world, and this city in particular is second-to-none. We really want to visit there ourselves one day. Really glad to hear you had a great vacation, my dear friend! We all missed you, for sure, and it’s so great to have you back again, but I am also very happy that you took a much deserved break!! Terrific photo of New Orleans, Edith, I just can’t wait to see what else you’ve come home with!

January 8, 2013 at 7:26 pm

• Thank you so much my friend. I really appreciate it. This was my first time in New Orleans and I just loved it. Wonderful people, food, music, city. I’m itching to go back already.

January 9, 2013 at 12:09 am

29. Happy New Year, Edith. Glad you enjoyed the vacation. Lovely photo.

January 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm

30. Realmente hermosa foto! Espectacular!!

January 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm