Keep Running Boston!

It’s hard to believe it’s been 2 weeks since the Boston Marathon bombing. I’m sure that I’m not the only one who was shocked and shaken to the core by the senselessness of this act. It’s unfortunate that acts such as this is becoming all too common place in the world we live in. I have 2 teenage boys who, in their lifetime, have been exposed to the horrors of 9/11; the 2005 attacks in London, the 2012 bus bombing in Bulgaria that killed Israeli tourists, the Colorado theatre shooting and the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Should I go on?  I don’t remember being exposed to these types of acts when I was growing up. Sure there were wars fought overseas, far from “home.” Whether we believed in these wars or not the reality was that it didn’t affect our day-to-day.

While I was in Boston last week news broke that the RCMP, working with the FBI, arrested 2 men with ties to Al-Qaeda. These men are suspected of plotting to derail a Via Rail Train on the Toronto to New York route. When will this craziness end?

I spend the day walking around Boston and made my way to Boylston Street where a memorial for the victims of the marathon had been growing steadily over the week. As I was walking the streets last Sunday, on what was a glorious sunny day, people were enjoying the beautiful weather, playing in the park, sipping coffee at sidewalk cafes. This is how it should be…we live our lives and enjoy our freedoms because terror cannot win.

Boston, Memorial, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong, running

Boston, Memorial, Bolyston street, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong

Boston, Memorial, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong, running

Boston, Memorial, Bolyston street, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong

Boston, Memorial, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong, running

Boston, Memorial, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong

Boston, Memorial, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong

Boston, Memorial, Copley Square, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong

Boston, Memorial, Copley Square, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong

Boston, Memorial, Copley Square, Marathon, remembering, Boston Strong

1. Excellent post Edith! Your images and words evoked many emotions in me.

April 29, 2013 at 7:50 am

2. Very emotional!

April 29, 2013 at 7:52 am

3. Nice tribute Edith. The return to normal life is our best defense in the seemingly never-ending battle.

April 29, 2013 at 8:06 am

4. It’s powerful imagery. I remember after 9/11, how quiet the city (NYC) was. I still have a profound feeling for that loss. My kids are in their twenties and experienced 9/11 up close. But the first disaster that they remember is of the space shuttle explosion. Me, it was the JFK assassination. Each generation has a different memory. It’s too bad that your kids have seen too much.

April 29, 2013 at 8:29 am

• Thank you Victor. Yes each generation must grapple with its own history making events.

April 29, 2013 at 2:16 pm

5. For a better world free of violence. My condolences and prayers for those who lost their lives in Boston.
    That art and photography help show that there is a different world full of friendship and love.
    Cruz
    Argentina

April 29, 2013 at 8:43 am

6. Very fitting post with powerful imagery, Edith. So glad you were able to capture these shots.

Terror will never win or change the American way. The real tragedy in all of this, are the innocent people going about their lives, having no ill-will toward others, yet being attacked for no sane reason that will ever be understood by humanity.

Thank you for sharing this and reminding us of how precious life is.

April 29, 2013 at 8:48 am

7. I had read there was a memorial of sorts starting in Boston…thanks so much for sharing this with us. I am just glad you are OKAY!

April 29, 2013 at 8:51 am

8. Great words and great post Edith.

April 29, 2013 at 8:56 am

9. Excellent done post and very well captured photos too, Edith… 🙂

April 29, 2013 at 9:56 am

10. Reblogged this on Rucci Photography.

April 29, 2013 at 10:37 am

11. A very well written post Edith.

April 29, 2013 at 10:56 am

12. So glad you shared this. Your photos really capture a lot of emotions.

April 29, 2013 at 11:20 am

13. It is sad that human-kind is becoming more violent. Or at least sects are becoming more violent. I had a younger cousin who was at the finish line. Luckly he only sufferered minor physical injuries. But of course there is the emotional part that can be difficult to heal.

April 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm

• Thank you for your comment Bernice. I’m sure this event will stay with you cousin for a long time but I’m so glad that they’re ok.

April 29, 2013 at 2:27 pm

14. Some very poignant images Edith. I imagine it must have been very emotional to be walking through those same streets that were the scene of those appalling atrocities.

April 29, 2013 at 4:56 pm

• Thank you Andy. It was very moving and at the same time inspiring. The people of Boston defied those that want to inflict harm by moving forward.

April 29, 2013 at 7:03 pm

15. Jan Winther

Excellent blog post. I agree with your concerns. Unfortunately, i have a feeling that its not gonna get any better in the near future. Lets just hope that FBI, police etc catch them before they can do harm, and put them away for a good amount of time. We’ll see if that happens in the Toronto case.

April 29, 2013 at 5:52 pm

16. Very sad situation. My younger brother who live sin Boston says the city and it’s residents are still quite shaken.
    There is an amazing article in today’s WSJ about what some people are going through with family members in the hospitals with amputations and other very serious injuries. Check it out if you can. Very moving.

April 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm

17. Thank you so much for sharing these here, Edith.
    They are both beautiful, yet very, very sad.

April 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm

powerful!

April 29, 2013 at 10:41 pm

19. Nice.

April 30, 2013 at 4:49 am

20. We just wanted to let you know – you’ve been nominated for a blogger award! 🙂 Check out our post and we hope you’ll accept!

April 30, 2013 at 10:51 am

21. melanietoulouse

very touching and emotional… thanx, young lady!

May 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm

22. Wow that last one is really special. Great job Edith!

May 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm

23. Very special photos. Highly emotional! Congratulations!

May 8, 2013 at 2:49 pm