Waiting For A Fare

As I was walking to Faneuil Hall I came across this horse & carriage. As an added bonus the caleche driver was standing there waiting for a fare. His costume and the surrounding buildings threw me into a time warp and I kept thinking that when I get home and process this image it would probably look good as an old vintage photograph.

Below are two versions, the scene as I saw it and a slightly distressed, vintage version.  Let me know which one you prefer.

Click on the images to enlarge (they really do look better) or to Purchase a Print.

Boston, caleche, horse, Faneuil Hall, street photography, horse and buggy, Topaz Clarity, vintage, monochrome

1. jimdenham107

Personally, I like the more modern image better, but it works either way! What a great scene!

June 5, 2013 at 7:38 am

2. Wow, although I like both, the vintage version sent me right into that time warp with you. I love it!!

June 5, 2013 at 7:54 am

3. 1annecasey

Great image, nicely aged!

June 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

4. Really like your “old time” shot… 😉

June 5, 2013 at 8:18 am

5. For me, it’s definitely the second one, Edith.
    Both are really wonderful.
    Happy day to you!

June 5, 2013 at 8:20 am

6. Each provides a slightly different narrative. It’s always fascinates how a conversion can change the story.

June 5, 2013 at 8:34 am

• Thanks Sally. I do enjoying processing the same image in different ways as it does tell a different story.

June 5, 2013 at 10:56 am

7. I’m liking the color better…it just pops!

June 5, 2013 at 8:45 am

8. I prefer the first, but I’m with Sally, the more interesting aspect is how it changes the feel of the photo. Lovely capture!

June 5, 2013 at 8:48 am

9. I think I like the vintage treatment better. The scene really fits the processing.

June 5, 2013 at 10:10 am

10. I like the vintage version better, ’cause the subject fits the background fits the editing. Well done

June 5, 2013 at 11:57 am

11. I prefer the original. But is it HDR? I also like the natural almost as it came from the camera look.

June 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm

• Thanks Phil. No the “original” isn’t HDR. It’s one exposure but I processed it in Photoshop and used Topaz Clarity to bring out some contrast and Topaz Detail to bring out some detail in the brick of the buildings.

June 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm

12. Well my favorite is different from the others….the vintage processing is so perfect…I thought you had scanned an old photo! Kudos to you!

June 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

13. Wonderful scene here, Edith.
    I typically go for the color shots but not here today. The vintage B&W version steals the show, seems to just fit the time period perfectly.

Well done!

June 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm

14. I am strongly drawn to the vintage image. It has an authenticity about it that is compelling. There’s nothing to spoil the concept that it was taken decades ago. Clever work, Edith.

June 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

15. Great shot!

June 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm

16. Amazing images Edith!

June 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm

17. wow! Edith, both pictures has a unique feeling, the first one is modern with rich colors and the second one looks from another time. Well done!

June 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm

18. I like the first version, Edith, as I was drawn in by the vivid colors, especially the red. It pops. For that reason, the second version seems drained of all energy. I like the vintage look, though, and find it amazing that it can be converted to look so authentic. Either way, it’s a gorgeous shot!

June 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

• Thank you so much Elisa. I appreciate it

June 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm

• Ha, I was just going to amend my comment, and you beat me to it! The second photography isn’t drained of all energy, it has a beautiful quietness to it. Both beautiful! Take care! 🙂

June 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm

19. leecleland

at first glance I liked the vintage image best, but on a second look I couldn’t decide as the coloured one is very rich in tone which works well with the subject. Still, maybe the vintage one by a whisker!

June 6, 2013 at 2:52 am

20. Great shot ! I like old photographs, therefore I choose the second version.

June 6, 2013 at 5:10 am

I like the both versions Edith. You must have caught him at a good time as usually there are tons of people milling around that area.

June 6, 2013 at 6:59 am

• Thanks Len. Actually I was surprised as well that there weren’t more people milling around.

June 6, 2013 at 9:26 am

22. I like both for different reasons. The first is great shot. However, I feel that you accomplished the goal of achieving an old vintage look. In fact it reminds me of an old newspaper photo.

June 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm

23. Love the images and think the vintage look enhances the mood of the photograph. Terrific capture, Ediith.

June 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

24. Well spotted Edith.

June 7, 2013 at 3:04 am

25. I truly love ’em both, Edith, but my slight preference would be with the color version. Although, the mono version has a strong period-correct feel to it.. OK, I pick ’em both!

June 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm

26. Pingback: 89 Photographs and Stories That You Will Love

27. Tough call Edith! I really like both of them. I get a different feeling from each one. I might lean slightly more towards the vintage look just because it fits the scene!

June 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm

28. Edith,
    This is such a great image. It’s tough to decide on one finish over another. I think that I would be happy with either if I had only seen one. I wonder how it might look in colour but highly desaturated, so that there is very little colour. Not sure how to explain that though.

June 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm