Pfeiffer Beach

Pfeiffer Beach is located in the heart of Big Sur. It was tough to find and if you’re driving south almost impossible. We stopped to ask directions and were told to turn right at the yellow yield sign. Ok we did and sure enough after driving about a mile or so down a very narrow one lane road we came upon this beautiful gem. It’s unfortunate that I wasn’t able to get here at sunrise or sunset but sometimes itineraries dictate otherwise.

This was an 11 sec. exposure using my 10-stop ND filter at f/9. I processed the image in colour and black and white. Which one do you prefer.

Click on the images to enlarge (they really do look better) or to Purchase a Print.

Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur, California, State Park, rock, long exposure, travel photography, colour

Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur, California, State Park, rock, long exposure, travel photography, black and white

1. wow, just wow!

September 13, 2013 at 7:41 am

2. This is beautiful, Edith. I chose the color version, since I absolutely love those tones.
    Have a great weekend!

September 13, 2013 at 8:15 am

3. The warm tones in the color version make the location look intriguing and like a place one might want to explore. The black and white version is much more foreboding! I love the little bit of mist above the water.

September 13, 2013 at 9:10 am

4. At first I thought that the color told the story of this intimate spot. The monochrome does give it a more peaceful patina. Than I realized that they both have equal power to grab us.

September 13, 2013 at 9:24 am

5. I have to go with color as there just isn’t enough contrast in the sky to provide interest in the monochrome conversion. There is also some haloing going on in the b/w version you don’t see in the color. Meanwhile, the color version makes me want to be at the beach. It feels warm and inviting.

September 13, 2013 at 10:07 am

6. Rich McPeek

I like them both Edith! It was hard to pick one but I did go with the B&W because I’m a sucker for long exp B&W photos! This version really brings brings the details in the rock out. Either way, both are well done! Have a great weekend!

September 13, 2013 at 12:14 pm

7. Your picures look magic!

September 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm

8. Beautiful!

September 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm

9. It was close, but in the end I chose color. Both are beautiful.

September 13, 2013 at 2:52 pm

10. Both are fantastic images and usually i gravitate to monochrome but I have to say it’s the colour one for me. I find the contrast and detail of the colour one really drawing me in.

September 13, 2013 at 4:16 pm

11. Sweet, an Icon for Sure! great work Edith!

September 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm

12. Both pictures are impressive! In this case I prefere the color version. If the B/W has had some more contrast perhaps I would change my mind 🙂

September 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm

13. I voted for the black and white one because I think that we see much better the water and because the sur exposed sky is less visible on this version.
    Have à great week end

September 13, 2013 at 6:28 pm

14. Beautiful shot and a wonderful place, even if it were a little tough to find initially.

I like both images but prefer the color version here.

September 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm

15. WOW!

September 14, 2013 at 2:02 am

16. I like the coloured version… and I like the Canadian spelling 😉

September 15, 2013 at 12:51 pm

17. I love that color rendition Edith, it’s very very striking! Lovely image!

September 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm