The Toronto Ice Storm of 2013

I don’t normally post in the evening and truth be told I’m preparing my year in review post which will go live tomorrow morning but life sometimes has other ideas or should I say mother nature has a mind of her own. It’s been a crazy few days. On Saturday night Toronto and other parts of the east coast was hit by an ice storm the likes which we’ve never seen. On Saturday evening our power went out and didn’t come back on until Sunday evening. We were lucky. Others still don’t have power today. Sunday morning we awoke to downed trees, cars covered in 2 inches of ice and a very cold house.

Here’s the funny thing about mother nature, when you take a deep breath and look around you realize that you’re surrounded by beauty.

Ice Storm, Toronto, 2013, park, ice, trees, branches, pathway,

Ice Storm, Toronto, 2013, park, ice, trees, branches, macro photography

Ice Storm, Toronto, 2013, park, ice, trees, branches, macro photography

Ice Storm, Toronto, 2013, park, ice, trees, branches,

Ice Storm, Toronto, 2013, park, ice, trees, branches, macro photography

And then this was the scene on a street around the corner from me (just one of many).

Ice Storm, Toronto, 2013, park, ice, trees, branches, road, broken

1. Some great shots here. I like the one of the man and his dog.

December 23, 2013 at 10:32 pm

2. My favorite is the leaf with the drips of ice–marvelous combination of nature’s fragility.

December 23, 2013 at 10:47 pm

3. Love that 4th image! Burr, looks cold! I can’t imagine have that type of ice covering everything. Glad you made it!

December 23, 2013 at 11:30 pm

4. We’re in Aurora and were without power for 36 hours. Makes you realize how vulnerable we are when we don’t have power. I feel for those still in blackout conditions. My mother’s in North York and still doesn’t have power. … Your images are beautiful. You are right ~ to every cloud there is a silver lining. Mother Nature is asking us to stand up and take notice as only she can. 😉 … Thanks for sharing.

December 24, 2013 at 12:32 am

• Thanks so much Dorothy. I’m glad you’re power is back and and I hope your Mom gets hers back soon. I’m just north of Steeles and I know that there’s still tons of issues south of me.

December 24, 2013 at 12:37 am

5. You’re absolutely correct, my friend!! They’re very beautiful!! A big cheers to Mother Nature for being so creative!

Merry Christmas, my friend!! All the best to you and your loved ones in Year 2014!! Cheers~ 😀

December 24, 2013 at 1:06 am

• Thank you so much and the very same to you.

December 24, 2013 at 1:12 am

• You’re welcome, my friend!

Do enjoy the holiday coming ahead! Cheers~ 😀

December 24, 2013 at 5:12 am

6. …have a very merry christmas…:-)))

December 24, 2013 at 3:18 am

7. beautiful…makes me miss Canada all the more…

December 24, 2013 at 3:20 am

8. Rubi78

Nice pictures! Merry Christmas

December 24, 2013 at 5:57 am

9. Some lovely images – I like the tree with the sun behind best! I have been out taking lots of shots too. I’m downtown and have power – currently sheltering one friend who doesn’t have heat or light, and waiting to see if my sister and family will have to come here too… And this morning there is snow! Ahhh, anyway, it is very very pretty when it is not destroying trees 🙂

December 24, 2013 at 8:02 am

Out of bad comes beautiful! Hope you are warm and toasty now and have a lovely holiday!

December 24, 2013 at 8:52 am

11. Wow! Sure looks cold and icy! It was 78F here over the weekend but we are back to cool weather now.

December 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

12. Beautiful images, Edith. Glad to hear your power is back on. From the news reports, it sounds like a lot of others will be without power (and in high rise homes, without water) for several days yet – not exactly the makings of a merry Christmas. I hope the recovery of power and “normality” comes quickly – Hydro crews will be the heroes of Toronto this season, I expect. Wishing you all the best for the holidays and new year.

December 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm

• Thank you so much Laurie. Yes my heart goes out to those people who still don’t have power and the next 2 days will be very cold.

December 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm

13. For once we got off easy in this storm. Glad you are all ok and that your power is back on :).

December 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

14. simply incredible shots,wow……. brrrrrr……….. 🙂 .. Q

December 25, 2013 at 5:24 am

15. Beautiful pictures… how wonderful to see inspiration at work. Best wishes for a very good year, Edith.

December 30, 2013 at 12:30 am