Top 10 Reasons to Visit Brooklyn

A couple of months ago we decided to spend a few days in Manhattan over the Christmas holidays. Have you tried to book a hotel room in the city during the holidays? No! I could buy a small car for 4 nights hotel. Ok I exaggerate…but only slightly. Luckily we have cousins who live in Park Slope, Brooklyn who graciously offered us the use of their house  while they were away on vacation.

I have a confession to make. I enjoyed Brooklyn much more than Manhattan this time around. Now don’t get me wrong, I really do love New York, but the throngs of people and the frantic tourist frenzy that takes place in the city at this time of year just got to me. Now of course I don’t consider myself a tourist. I have friends and family in New York. I’ve been there more times then I can count. I know the city inside and out (kind of). Anyway, on to the point of this post…the Top 10 Things that I Love about Brooklyn & why you should visit if you can:

10. Home of the Brooklyn Nets – seriously have you checked their standings lately

9. Barcleys Centre – a state of the art arena that opened in Sept 2012. Its home to the Nets and starting in 2015 will also be home to the New York Islanders. The modern design and architecture make this building worth visiting. Just a bit of trivia for you…the first regular season NBA game took place in November 2012 where the Nets beat the Toronto Raptors…Hmmm.

8. It’s close to Manhattan – under a 20 minute subway ride gets you to midtown.

7. It’s the calm amidst the chaos that is the city.

6. World Class Restaurants – whether you’re looking for a quite romantic spot or a deli, Brooklyn has much to offer the foodie.

5. It has great neighborhoods – whether its East, North, South or Central Brooklyn there are too many neighborhoods to name. Brooklyn is New York’s most populous borough. I stayed in Park Slope with its brownstones and family friendly atmosphere but had the chance to explore Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO and Prospect Heights as well. All unique in their own way.

4. Prospect Park – designed by the same designers who designed Central Park, Prospect Park includes Brooklyn’s only lake, the Prospect Park Zoo, sports facilities including baseball diamonds, tennis courts and soccer fields. It’s a great place for a run, stroll, cycle regardless of the season. It’s also a great place to take pictures –says yours truly J

3. You can walk just about anywhere. Maybe it’s where I was staying but we didn’t move our car for 4 days. Living in a suburban neighborhood in Toronto, where I usually get in the car to grab a cup of coffee, this was a real bonus.

2. Brooklyn Heights Promenade for the best views of lower Manhattan, The Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges and The Statue of Liberty. A must for photographers.

1. DUMBO – which stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass. Yes the rumbling trains thunder overhead but this has become a cool place to hang. Sandwiched between the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge, with its cobblestoned streets, galleries and fashionable boutiques, DUMBO is a must for any visitor (and photographer) to Brooklyn.

I went down to DUMBO one evening with the intention of photographing the bridges at night. I could have spent the whole night just staring out at the city and lights.

Click on the image to enlarge (it really does look better) or to Purchase a Print.

Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, DUMBO, Brooklyn, nightscape, reflection, bridge lights, travel photography, Hudson River

Glad you enjoyed Brooklyn Edith. My mother’s family lived in Brooklyn and I visited them a lot when I was a kid so I have great memories of there. Most of them have passed so I don’t visit there much anymore. I will definitely get there in October and shoot. Loving your images from there.

January 8, 2014 at 7:53 am

• Thanks you so much Len. I actually surprised myself on how much I enjoyed Brooklyn. It really is full of pleasant surprises.

January 8, 2014 at 11:38 am

2. Brooklyn’s been getting better each and every year. Great shot of the night and bridges.

January 8, 2014 at 8:46 am

3. A magical capture of a city that keeps giving–a city that offers everything as long as one is willing to accept its gift. Brooklyn is one of NYC’s wonderful by-products, and as you point out so well not one without its own gems. That was a perfect choice during the madness in NYC during the holidays. Your capture shows one layer of the city’s appeal. But Brooklyn offers its own magic.

January 8, 2014 at 8:56 am

4. I love Brooklyn. Much cheaper than Manhattan…we stayed at the Holiday inn.

January 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm

5. leecleland

Sound like a place a tourist who’s not into being a tourist would love! The image of the two bridges is like looking at a city of sparking diamonds.

January 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm

6. Gorgeous skyline indeed and very well captured! We must have been in the city at the same time…who knows, in a city that big we might have bumped shoulders and not even known! Happy New Year!

January 8, 2014 at 9:02 pm

• Thanks so much Robyn. Wish I would have known you were in NY. We could have met in person.

January 8, 2014 at 10:19 pm

7. Outstanding and totally beautiful image, Edith!
    You’ve provided 10 wonderful reasons to visit Brooklyn, and this shot absolutely says it all. 🙂

January 9, 2014 at 8:37 am

8. sedge808

i would love to go there.

January 9, 2014 at 10:30 am

9. We really enjoyed the DUMBO area when we were here a year ago. It had a really neat vibe to it. Lovely photo!

January 9, 2014 at 11:11 am

You’ve convinced me, Edith! The neighborhoods and DUMBO! Beautiful photo!

January 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

11. Sadly I have to admit I’ve never, yet, been to New York. I must get there before I get turned away on the grounds of antiquity! Love this image, especially the light in the foreground that provides balance to the overall shot.

January 10, 2014 at 1:50 pm

• Thank you so much Andy.It’s hard when you have those beautiful mountains to go to but do try and make the trip. It is a wonderful city to explore.

January 10, 2014 at 3:35 pm

12. Beautiful work Edith!

January 12, 2014 at 1:52 pm