Window to Hezekiah’s Tunnel

I was going through my archives the other day looking through my images from my trip to Israel in 2010. I’m going back to Israel next week and I was trying to remind myself what I shot the last time I was there. That trip took place before I started this blog and when I was just starting to learn about HDR. This was one image that I was never happy with. I had shot 3 brackets handheld but it was very dark and the longer exposure image was blurry and the HDR never came out the way I wanted it to. Of course that was before I was using Lightroom so I decided to process one of the brackets on its own in LR5. All I did for processing was to bring out the shadows and darken the highlights slightly and cloned out part of a railing.

This was taken on the walk down to Hezekiah’s Tunnel in Jerusalem which was dug underneath the City of David. The tunnel dates back to the reign of Hezekiah of Judah in the late 8th and early 7th century BCE and was designed as an aqueduct to provide Jerusalem with water.

Hezekiah's Tunnel, Israel, Jerusalem, old city, City of David, archeological, travel photography, window, grate

Walking through the tunnel itself is an amazing experience. It’s dark, very narrow and you walk through water that comes up to your knees. Yup that’s us in the picture below. Our tour guide took this shot…

hezekiah's Tunnel, Israel, Jerusalem, old city, City of David, archeological, travel photography

1. Yowzers! This definitely isn’t for the faint of heart. Well done on capturing the highlights and shadows inside and out.

May 14, 2014 at 9:42 am

2. It’s beautiful! Israel is one of the places my husband and I long to go. Maybe some day…

May 14, 2014 at 9:52 am

3. oh my friend…what a delight this would of been. I adore tunnels…only problem is trying to capture a photo in them. lol. thanks for sharing this delightful post.

May 14, 2014 at 1:18 pm

• Thanks Laurie. Capturing anything useful inside the tunnel was really tough. It was very narrow and at certain points the water was so high that I had to hold the camera above my head so it would get wet.

May 14, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Wonderful images Edith. I don’t process HDR nearly as much as I used to (even though I always bracket) due to the ability of LR 5 to bring out shadows and recover highlights. A trick I sometimes use is to export the brackets to Photoshop, create an HDR file, bring it back to LR and process it there. Those sliders become even more powerful with a much broader range with the resulting file.

Looking forward to your images from Israel trip.

May 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm

• Thanks Len. I don’t do as much HDR either for that same reason. I haven’t tried processing the brackets and then bringing it back to LR5. Thanks for the tip I’m definitely going to try that.

May 14, 2014 at 4:17 pm

5. Have a wonderful trip Edith. I love the composition of the photograph. The tunnel sounds like fun!

May 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm

6. I love this photograph, Edith. Wonderful textures and colors.
    Travel safe, and have a fantastic trip.

May 14, 2014 at 6:55 pm

7. Great job saving the shot Edith – would love to see your original processing for comparison. Very jealous of your upcoming trip. #1 spot on my remaining bucket list! Have a great time, looking forward to the photos.

May 14, 2014 at 10:59 pm

8. We learn a lot from our archives, Edith, as you so rightly observe. Enjoy your trip.

May 15, 2014 at 6:17 am

9. That’s pretty cool Edith, love the textures in the window shot, well done

May 15, 2014 at 4:06 pm

10. What a great experience, Edith. Love these photos.
    I love looking back over older photos, they really show us how much we have advanced in post-processing. Nice job!

Have a safe & great trip!

May 15, 2014 at 9:46 pm

11. Great shot and enjoy Israel, I’m hoping to get back there soon.

May 16, 2014 at 7:03 am

The images are great, the history fascinating

May 17, 2014 at 7:38 am

13. I just love stuff like this, Edith, great capture!! Wonderful way of framing the entire scene, you can literally feel the rich history in your image!!

May 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm

14. This only shows how much one can accomplish with only one exposure when shooting in raw and processing in Lightroom (or equivalent). Quite amazing. I wish you a great trip back to Israel.

May 18, 2014 at 3:29 pm

15. Please, bring us more photos from Israël !

May 18, 2014 at 5:33 pm

16. How interesting Edith. Thanks for posting. It looks great!

May 22, 2014 at 10:37 pm

17. Amazing adventure felt being inside history.

May 23, 2014 at 5:02 am

18. How was the water temperature in the aqueduct?

May 30, 2014 at 7:46 am