Old Jaffa & The Beacon on the Hill
Located in the central square in Jaffa is St. Peter’s Church and the Bell Tower that dominates the hillside.
The church was built-in 1654 over a medieval fortress, in dedication to Saint Peter. It was twice destroyed and rebuilt in the late 18th century and the current structure was built-in 1894. The church is open daily and masses are conducted in English, Spanish, Polish and Hebrew.
The bell tower overlooking Jaffa’s old port and dominating the view of Jaffa from the sea, has for over a century acted as a beacon for sea-faring pilgrims signalling that the Holy Land is near.
Click on the image to enlarge (it really does look better) or to Purchase a Print.