The Passage

When you arrive at the visitor’s centre in Petra it is approximately a 700 meter walk to the entrance of the Siq, which the main entrance to the city. Siq is the Arabic word meaning “the passage.”

The Siq is a long and narrow natural passage that leads to the ancient City of Petra. The width of the passage varies between 3 and 17 meters and the layers of colours in the rock is caused by oxidation. This passage leads to the most important monument in Petra, “The Treasury.”

Click on the image to view a higher resolution (it really does look better) or to Purchase a Print.

Petra, Jordan, passage, Siq, sandstone, slot canyon

1. Wonderful light. Must be impressive to see.

June 23, 2014 at 8:29 am

2. The composition gives it an almost abstract quality, which is part of nature’s triumphs (even if she doesn’t know it).

June 23, 2014 at 8:35 am

• Thanks so much Sally. My tour guide was getting a little frustrated with me I think. I kept hanging back to let everyone walk through so that I could get a clear shot.

June 23, 2014 at 10:38 am

3. Between the light, the contrast, and the lines, this image just wowed me over. I can only imagine what it was like to be actually standing there. (((HUGS))) Amy

June 23, 2014 at 11:51 am

4. I image it must be extraordinary to walk through there. It reminds me a little of images of Antelope Canyon

June 23, 2014 at 2:25 pm

5. This is a stunning photograph, Edith.
    It must be such a wonderful experience to walk there.
    Happy day to you!

June 23, 2014 at 2:41 pm

6. Pingback: A First Look At The Treasury | Edith Levy Photography

I had to go back and re-read two posts ago about going to Petra. I thought it was too long of a hike to get there, but now I realize that you meant the tomb of Aaron, right?
    This is such a wonderful photo and reminds of me formations in Utah.

June 25, 2014 at 6:27 pm

• Yes Laurie it was Aaron’s Tomb that is a very long hike. Petra is quite doable. I too was thinking of the southwest as I was walking through the Passage.

June 25, 2014 at 8:46 pm

8. Wonderful Photograph Edith. On my list of places I must visit!

June 26, 2014 at 11:22 am

9. so you visited Petra? I live in Amman, the capital city of Jordan. I’ve beet to Petra only once back in 2012, took many pictures but yours looks way better than mine. LOL I hope you enjoyed it in our little country. 🙂

June 27, 2014 at 11:32 am

• Hi Ahmed, thank you very visiting and for your comments. I really enjoyed my short time in Jordan and in particular Petra. The people I met were wonderful and I would love to return for a longer visit next time.

June 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm