The Treasury

The Treasury or “Al-Khazneh” in Petra was called this because the Bedouin who lived in Petra 200 years ago thought that the building contained gold.

Another account states that when the Bedouin saw the Treasury in the sunlight they thought it was covered in gold and when the sunlight disappeared so did the gold. I was told that the best time to visit was in the morning between the hours of 9am and 10am when the sun lights up the facade to a beautiful pink colour. By the time I had arrived it was noon and for the purposes of photography it’s not an ideal time to photograph but sometimes you have to work with what you’ve got.

The Treasury was built by the Nabataeans in the first century and it was actually a tomb dedicated to Kind Aritas IV.

On a quick note I’m heading out today for Paris and Italy. I don’t think I will be doing any blogging while I’m away (maybe on or two posts) but will be posting images to my Facebook page throughout the trip. Click on this link,  Edith Levy Photography Facebook and give the page a like to follow along on my travels.

Petra, Jordan, The Treasury, monument, travel

Petra, Jordan, The Treasury, monument, travel

Petra, Jordan, The Treasury, monument, travel

1. Amazing structure.

June 30, 2014 at 9:43 am

2. Very beautiful, Edith. As you probably know, there were quite a few of us who risked their lives to see this beauty some years back.

June 30, 2014 at 9:45 am

• Thank you Shimon. No I don’t think I know that story but would love to hear it.

June 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

3. In the days when this was built, they really believed in form over function. Nowadays, structures are so… blah! Just amazing!

June 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

4. Incredible details.

June 30, 2014 at 10:28 am

5. Stunning! Beautifully captured.

June 30, 2014 at 10:50 am

6. Like the way the monochrome fills the image and helps to accentuate the workmanship and grader.

June 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

7. Wow, such a magnificent place to visit, it must be breathtaking! Even at noon.

I saw this on the “Indiana Jones” movie and at that time I didn’t though it was real, what a surprise. . 😉 I wish you a great trip, Edith. Enjoy!

June 30, 2014 at 2:16 pm

8. Beautiful work Edith. It is easy to see where the city gets it’s name.

June 30, 2014 at 8:00 pm

9. I really love the angles you shot these at! Beautiful work!

June 30, 2014 at 8:06 pm

• Thanks Karen. I was trying to avoid direct sunlight and actually shot the image of the entire facade a little later in the day when we were making our way back.

June 30, 2014 at 8:30 pm

10. Very nice Edith, safe travels.

July 1, 2014 at 4:59 am

Fabulous shots Edith. Enjoy your trip and will look for your images on FB

July 1, 2014 at 5:05 pm

The last image, with the people, really shows the scale and breadth of the Treasury. I’m kind of surprised that people are allowed to sit on the structure.
    Beautiful photos, Edith!
    Enjoy your travels … I need to do some traveling! until then, I’ll just live vicariously through you 🙂

July 1, 2014 at 9:45 pm

• Thanks Laurie. There was a time where you could go into the treasury but now they’ve closed it off which is disappointing. It seems some folks thought the walls of the treasury was a good place for grafitti so now no one can go in. It’s a shame.

July 2, 2014 at 4:32 am

13. Wow, great series, love the details, I would love to explore there

July 6, 2014 at 10:36 am

14. Lovely! The second shot is my favorite 🙂

July 8, 2014 at 9:58 am

15. When man kind puts his mind to something….amazing what can turn out. Spectacular!

July 17, 2014 at 8:23 am

16. Oh, I want so to go to Petra. . . . the political situation is so tenuous now. . . .

July 19, 2014 at 3:35 pm

• The political situation is always tense in that part of the world. That’s our unfortunate reality. Both Jordan and Israel were beautiful.

July 19, 2014 at 4:13 pm

• Oh I always wanted to go to Israel. We were set to take a bust up through the desert from Cairo but there was an outbreak of fighting with Lebanon. We had our kids with us and were afraid it would escalate. Those poor people live with the constant threat or actual war ! We cancelled. I am so sorry because we have not gone and I am not sure we ever will now. what was your favorite site? Is it posted?

July 19, 2014 at 4:47 pm

• Thanks Anne. Petra was an experience of a lifetime and it was my first time in Jordan. I’ve been to Israel many times and it’s hard to narrow down a favourite location. You can see my Israel pictures in the gallery. From the North in the Golan Heights to the southern desert its a beautiful country.

July 20, 2014 at 12:32 am