A Perfect Day at Jardin des Tuileries

Located between the Louvre and the Place de la Concorde the Jardin des Tuileries is a lovely public garden which features fountains; water basins and lots of green space and chairs so that one can sit and enjoy the surroundings.

On our second day in Paris my husband and I walked from our hotel to the Louvre with our final destination being the Place de la Concorde and the Champs Elysee. It took us longer to get there as we so enjoyed our walk through the gardens. At one point we decided to take a break and we sat down next to the water basin and just relaxed and enjoyed a perfect summer day. As I was sitting there I thought to myself what a lovely painting this scene would make. Since I don’t paint I photographed the scene with the intent of processing it to look like a painting.

Click on the image to see a high-resolution version in the gallery (it really does look better) or to Purchase a Print.

Jardin des Tuileries, Paris, garden, fountain, water, summertime,

1. Your right, the painterly effect look lovely! I wish I could be there! 😉 Have a beautiful day, Edith!

August 1, 2014 at 8:14 am

2. Very cool effect Edith. I love this scene so much, but I think you added a nice twist with the processing.

August 1, 2014 at 10:24 am

• Thanks Shane. The original image was unimpressive as it was mid day and very bright and sunny and I remember sitting there and thinking that perhaps Monet or another painter would have loved to paint this scene. When I processed the image I was disappointed with it and then I thought why not try and turn it into a painting.

August 1, 2014 at 11:17 am

3. you did a great job with the paintograph! I looked at it twice before confirming!

August 1, 2014 at 1:53 pm

4. It is beautiful, Edith! What a lovely, inviting scene.

August 1, 2014 at 10:10 pm

5. That painterly effect has produced something rather special Edith. The trees are softly rendered but the people remain precise. What filter or ‘effect’ did you use to create this?

August 2, 2014 at 4:05 am

• Thanks Andy. I processed the RAW file in LR% then brought into Photoshop. I duplicated the layer and then used the Topaz Simplify to get painterly effect. Back in PS I lowered the opacity of the “paint” layer but then further used a layer mask to bring the detail back in the faces.

August 2, 2014 at 7:39 pm

• Thanks for the detail Edith. I’m still experimenting with Simplify and don’t find it easy to temper the effects as yet – but this encourages me to try harder.

August 3, 2014 at 3:03 am

• No problem Andy. Keep working with it. It takes awhile but its a powerful plug-in.

August 3, 2014 at 6:20 pm

6. Monet would approve :}

August 2, 2014 at 5:58 pm

7. This is such a lovely setting, Edith.

August 3, 2014 at 4:05 pm

8. Perfect choice to process this image like a painting! Well done.

August 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm