More Dizzying Heights & My Thoughts on Creativity

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend filled with family, lots of laughs and good eats πŸ™‚ I don’t think any of my posts so far have garnered such opposing opinions as my Havana Rooftops multiple exposure that I posted last Friday.

Some of you didn’t like it…I mean really didn’t like it and some of you did. I actually found all the comments refreshing and I want to thank everyone that did comment and offered their opinion. As photographers we want people to like, no love our work. It’s one of the reasons we do what we do but it’s not the only reason. There’s also the self-satisfaction of creating something different. Sometimes when we look through the viewfinder we see something that may not be there physically but rather in our minds.  The definition of creative is “having or showing an ability to make new things or think of new ideas.” While some of these ideas will appeal to some they won’t appeal to others. I can just imagine what some people must have said when Jackson Pollock create his first piece of art.

Oh please don’t get me wrong, I am in no way comparing my work with that of Jackson Pollock. I’m just making an analogy between his experimentation and mine.

Some of you asked what the original image looked like. Here it is…

Havana, Cuba, rooftops, cityscape, travel photography

And I’ll give you one more of my “experimentations” before I leave and I promise I’ll get back to my regularly scheduled program with my next post πŸ™‚  Oh…and please leave a comment and let me know what you think…either way.

Click on the image to enlarge or to Purchase a Print.

Cuba, havana, multiple exposure, rooftops, travel photography,

1. in this photo your effect works way better, Edith!

Liked by 1 person

April 6, 2015 at 7:28 am

2. Long live creativity.

Liked by 1 person

April 6, 2015 at 7:31 am

3. While I think the effect may be more suited to other subjects, it is your vision of the scene. “We” more often think of moving images as difficult to freeze, and thus when we get a blurred effect, it is more acceptable. But it’s truly up to the image maker; we are simply voyeurs. You made a decision to do multiple exposures, and that’s the point: to experiment and push our own sense of what is.

Liked by 1 person

April 6, 2015 at 8:16 am

4. Rich McPeek

I like the effect Edith! Well done!

Liked by 1 person

April 6, 2015 at 8:37 am

5. Interesting and creative effect, Edith. I missed your Friday post, which is my next stop.
    Stay creative, we have to experiment and find our limits in various areas. Otherwise, we’re just one-trick ponies. πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

April 6, 2015 at 9:08 am

6. Attention, only a personal and subjective opinion !!!
    I think blurring it means, to enrich the image, with artistic suggestion.
    In this case, is a little bit intense blurring, wich breaking symbiosis between reality and artistic clothes that you wanted to dress, this real image.I wanted to say more about this topic, but is need subtlities of english language, wich i do not know very well. I love Cuba (Compay Segundo, retro cars, colonial architectures, El Floridita …) and i want to go there, but i am in middle of Europe and i have airplane afraid. Therefore watching with attention your blog. I write incorrect but understand writing in english and follow with interest your posts. I wish you great inspiration and more pictures from cuba!!!

Liked by 1 person

April 6, 2015 at 9:10 am

I commend your ability to be creative Edith and I think you should continue it regardless of what others think. I know most photographers want their work to be liked and I think that we have to be careful not doing it to please others with the danger of losing ourselves and not being happy. When I post a photo, I intuitively know which ones are going to be popular and others, not so much (although sometimes I am surprised both ways). I also know that posting an image that I really like but others may not still makes me happy that I was true to my instincts and creativity. At the end of the day, our photography is an expression of ourselves and should always be.

April 6, 2015 at 9:54 am

8. Sue

Old Havana is such a jumble of crumbly rooftops, chaotic merging of buildings – your creativity takes me back there!

April 6, 2015 at 11:01 am

9. Good points, Edith! Oh, I love this one! The abstract effect works perfectly! πŸ™‚

April 6, 2015 at 11:16 am

10. The main thing in my view is if you are having fun and enjoying the experimentation then you are doing fine.

April 6, 2015 at 11:28 am

11. If I had to choose between the two, I’d pick the abstract and hang it in my office…and feel good every time I looked at it.

April 6, 2015 at 11:55 pm

12. I missed the original Edith, however it is a creative image for sure, keep on creating!

April 8, 2015 at 8:31 am

13. The idea of multiple exposure is an interesting one; I’ve been toying with it myself recently and have found that the subject is key to success, well, for me anyway ….
    Although I’m not sold on the technique (yet) I commend your experimentation with it and can see the inspiration stemming from the ‘blocks’ of roofs and windows – I’d compare it with cubism rather than Pollack but with the same varied reactions to it! As it happens I think your first image works quite well, better than the second in my opinion. I think it’s due to the stronger lines and muted colour palette.
    Good luck with continued experiments – I look forward to seeing more!

Liked by 1 person

April 14, 2015 at 3:53 am

14. Just got my feed reader working again, so I’m seeing both for the first time today. I can appreciate what you’re going for with these. I think I like this version a bit better. They’re both a bit dizzying though πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person