Caesarea & Nik Collection is Free

Caesarea is a town built by Herod in approximately 22 B.C.E. The town is located between Tel Aviv and Haifa on the coast. This ancient town includes an amphitheatre, aqueduct, Roman temples and to this day archaeological excavations continue.

This image was taken from the stands of the amphitheatre looking out one of the exits. I processed this using Nik’s Analog FX. I really love the old film feel that it produced. As many of you know I’m a devoted Topaz Lab user. Many of my photographer friends swear by the Nik Collection and  have often told me that I “must” add it to my arsenal. I always said that I would one day but honestly I just couldn’t justify spending more money on plug-ins when I was quite happy with what I had.

This weekend Google made the Nik Collection free for download. Yes…I couldn’t quite believe it but they did so I downloaded it. You can find it for download here. I’ve been trying it out this weekend and so far I’m liking it.

Caesarea, Israel, black and white, Nik Collection, Analog FX, travel photography

1. Sadly, Nik has not been updated in many months/years since being bought by Google, and it being made free is almost a sure sign that it will not be updated ever again. Regardless, a good suite of plugins for LR/PS.

Liked by 1 person

March 28, 2016 at 7:46 am

2. Enjoyed the quiet drama of your image.

March 28, 2016 at 8:22 am

3. Hey! Great news. I’ve never tried it. Downloaded it! Great tip. Thanks so much. Hope all is well.

March 28, 2016 at 8:54 am

4. Smashing photograph Edith. If it ain’t broke, why fix it? Regardless of whether these plugins have been updated, they work so why bother? Thank you very much for the heads up on this suite of plugins Edith. I have some of them but not all. This is great news and am downloading as I type this. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

March 28, 2016 at 10:08 am

• My pleasure Adrian.

March 28, 2016 at 2:21 pm

• Just saw this on photofocus.com

Now the bad news. It is not a support software for your latest Max OS. There also hasn’t been any developments or updates for the past year. In addition, it is not compatible with Photoshop elements 14.

This means, this is a dead software. There will be no more updates and what you download is what you will get. As you update your computers and editing suite systems, the program will eventually not work for you anymore.

So enjoy it while you can but don’t become reliant on it. Personally, I’m using Topaz more and more.

Liked by 2 people

April 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm

• Thanks for the update. Yes I heard there will be no more updates. I’m using it with Photoshop CC and it’s working perfectly. So far I am enjoying it but Topaz is still my go to.

Liked by 1 person

April 11, 2016 at 11:38 pm

5. Indeed nik is very popular

Liked by 1 person

March 28, 2016 at 11:29 am

6. Sheesh, the Nik Collection is free for download? It is just my luck that I paid for the darn thing several months ago……
    Nice-looking image here, Edith.

March 28, 2016 at 6:45 pm

• Jason, check the Nik site. They are saying that they’re giving a full refund to people who just bought it.

March 29, 2016 at 8:50 am

• They’re giving refunds to everyone who paid for the software in 2016. I bought it in mid-December of 2015. But such is life, sometimes! At any rate, I do like the image you shared.

Liked by 1 person

March 29, 2016 at 12:26 pm

7. I got the Nik collection when an offer like this, was made a couple of years ago. I wonder if they have updated any of the software, and are offering it again, or if this is the same as I got a couple of years ago. Either way, it is a fantastic collection of image editing software.

Liked by 2 people

March 29, 2016 at 8:32 am

8. Very nice post-process, Edith. I’m a long time Nik user (paid quite a bit for it way back when). Silver Efex, Viveza and Analog are my most used. Define is good for noise reduction. I really like the ease of use in the control points. Glad you’re enjoying it.

Liked by 2 people

March 29, 2016 at 11:26 am

9. Love the image of Caesarea. I’m with you re: Topaz and Nik. I wasn’t happy with Topaz, though, except in the last few weeks I finally got comfortable with it. Nik doesn’t seem to offer anything I can’t get through Topaz or On1. But I’ll keep trying it out on my own images!

Liked by 2 people

April 10, 2016 at 10:05 pm

10. This is most interesting! Thanks for sharing, Edith. Enjjoyed the discussion here.

Liked by 1 person