I just finished Dan Bailey’s, just released ebook, Behind The Action – Creating Adventure Imagery, Step By Step. I’ve been following Dan’s blog for quite some time now but truthfully this is the first book of his that I’ve read. I’m not quite sure why I waited so long. If you’re interested in sports or adventure or action photographs then this is a must read.
What really impressed me was the way that this book is structured. Dan focuses on 12 different adventure and outdoor images. These include:
- Skate Skier
- Trail Runner
- Rock Climber
- Mountain Biker
In each of these “adventures” comes with its own recipe for success. This is what I found so unique about Behind The Action. It was almost as if I had Dan providing me with personal instruction on how to create a successful image. The recipe is:
- Concept – here Dan discusses what his conceptual vision was for the image that he wanted to create even before he picked up his camera.
- Gear – he describes in detail what equipment he used and what his reasoning was behind his choices.
- Light – look at the images of each of the adventures and then read what Dan’s challenges were when the lighting was optimal and how he used existing light to his advantage.
- Approach – learn what his approach was with each shot from the settings he used, the vantage point he decided on and why. Dan describes the “approach” as the “creative problem solving in the photographic process.”
- Execution – once the approach has been decided upon the execution is all about the experience of the actual shoot. Did he change lenses, wait for better light, change his vantage point. Capturing people in action situations, the execution may end up being different from the planned approach. Gain insight into Dan’s thought process throughout the shoot.
- Final Thoughts, Quick Tips and Post Production – in this final ingredient, Dan talks about analyzing the shots that he came away with, why the were successful and why they weren’t. He also describes his post processing for each image.
Dan Bailey is a professional outdoor, adventure and travel photographer. His clients include Outdoor Photographer, The North Face, Patagonia and many others.
This ebook is a must read if you want to take better action and sports images but really the ingredients that Dan uses in his recipes can be used whenever you go out shooting.
Behind The Action is published by the team at LightStalking. You can click here to go to their page and order the book. Today only…use the code “EARLYBIRD” to get 20% off Behind the Action – so get it now at only $19.95.